Oct 30, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Winning a regular season game in October doesn’t erase the bitter taste of being swept in the playoffs, but it’s better than losing again. The Pittsburgh Penguins edged the Boston Bruins 3-2 on NBC SN Wednesday, so let’s discuss the contest and more.
- Pittsburgh carried the shot advantage, but the Bruins generated a frantic finish, with Marc-Andre Fleruy being up to the task. “The Flower” isn’t just winning (ninth victory of the season), he’s also putting up pretty nice numbers. Is it time for stats people to take it easier on MAF? Could he even fight for a Vezina with other big-name goalies struggling? Or will the other guy in net (Tuukka Rask) have a better chance?
- Many raved about the Penguins defense tonight. Can they carry that over into the postseason, when that part of their game has often floundered?
- Should Team Canada bring Chris Kunitz along because of his chemistry with Sidney Crosby or go for the guys who are more talented/prominent?
- Jarome Iginla scored his third goal and now has nine points in 11 games this season. How do you feel he fits in with the B’s?
- Do you consider these teams the odds-on favorites in the East? If not, who would fit that bill?
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 14
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 17
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 25
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 17
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 52
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)