Oct 30, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Winning a regular season game in October doesn’t erase the bitter taste of being swept in the playoffs, but it’s better than losing again. The Pittsburgh Penguins edged the Boston Bruins 3-2 on NBC SN Wednesday, so let’s discuss the contest and more.
- Pittsburgh carried the shot advantage, but the Bruins generated a frantic finish, with Marc-Andre Fleruy being up to the task. “The Flower” isn’t just winning (ninth victory of the season), he’s also putting up pretty nice numbers. Is it time for stats people to take it easier on MAF? Could he even fight for a Vezina with other big-name goalies struggling? Or will the other guy in net (Tuukka Rask) have a better chance?
- Many raved about the Penguins defense tonight. Can they carry that over into the postseason, when that part of their game has often floundered?
- Should Team Canada bring Chris Kunitz along because of his chemistry with Sidney Crosby or go for the guys who are more talented/prominent?
- Jarome Iginla scored his third goal and now has nine points in 11 games this season. How do you feel he fits in with the B’s?
- Do you consider these teams the odds-on favorites in the East? If not, who would fit that bill?
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 7
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36