Oct 30, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
The Red Wings are loading up for the Winter Classic.
On Wednesday, the club announced it had added a pretty significant piece for the 2013 Alumni Showdown vs. Toronto — Sergei Fedorov, the 43-year-old former Hart Trophy Winner who recently announced he was coming out of retirement to suit up for KHL club CSKA Moscow.
“December 31 will be a walk down memory lane for players and fans,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said in a statement. “We will have most of the great Red Wings and Maple Leafs of the last 40 years on the same ice for the first time in history.
“There was so much interest in playing that we had to schedule two alumni games. This will be a very special day remembering and honoring the history of two great franchises.”
Fedorov joins a long list of Red Wings greats scheduled to take part on the game, which will be played at Comerica Park.
Here are the latest rosters for both Detroit and Toronto, as per the Wings website:
Detroit Red Wings
Red Berenson, Doug Brown, Jimmy Carson, Dino Ciccarelli, Mathieu Dandenault, Alex Delvecchio*, Dallas Drake, Kris Draper, Brent Fedyk, Tomas Holmstrom, Gordie Howe*, Petr Klima, Joe Kocur, Slava Kozlov, Martin Lapointe, Igor Larionov, Ted Lindsay*, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Kevin Miller, John Ogrodnick, Dennis Polonich, Mickey Redmond, Brendan Shanahan, Garry Unger, Paul Ysebaert
Chris Chelios, Steve Duchesne, Slava Fetisov, Jiri Fischer, Mark Howe, Vladimir Konstantinov*, Nicklas Lidstrom, Larry Murphy, Brian Rafalski, Mathieu Schneider, Aaron Ward, Jason Woolley
Ken Holland, Manny Legace, Eddie Mio, Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon
Scotty Bowman, Jacques Demers, Barry Smith
Toronto Maple Leafs
Wendel Clark, Russ Courtnall, Tie Domi, Gary Leeman, Kevin Maguire, Frank Mahovlich, Lanny McDonald, Gary Roberts, Darryl Sittler, Mats Sundin, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive, Mike Walton
Dave Ellett, Al Iafrate, Bryan McCabe, Bob McGill
Johnny Bower*, Mike Palmateer
Red Kelly, Pat Quinn
*Attending but not participating in alumni games
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 26
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 57
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (57)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)