Oct 30, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
The generally accepted narrative surrounding the ongoing contract negotiations between the Vancouver Canucks and the Sedin twins is that term is the main holdup to reaching an extension.
That narrative has been supported by comments from the Sedins’ agent; however, it was refuted today on TEAM 1040 radio by the club’s general manager, Mike Gillis.
“We’re trying to figure out what the cap is going to be next year and the upcoming years and really that’s the key,” said Gillis, per the Vancouver Sun. “Those guys have been fantastic people, No. 1, for this organization. They’ve been great players and it’s really a function of how you allocate money in a cap system and we’re just trying to ensure we do the right thing for the entire organization and for Daniel and Henrik.”
Of course, if the Canucks agreed to give the Sedins a longer term, they could probably lower the annual cap hit. So the amount of years is still a factor, in all likelihood.
Not counting the Sedins, who are pending unrestricted free agents, the Canucks have most of their core signed through 2015-16 and beyond.
But looking a couple of years ahead, key veterans Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis can become unrestricted in the summer of 2016, and then there are younger players like Zack Kassian and Chris Tanev that the club is hoping will be worthy of bigger deals along the way.
The Canucks may also want to add other assets in free agency or via trade, and that’s tough to do with no cap flexibility.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)