Oct 30, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
One of the greatest netminders ever has his choices for who should represent Team Canada in goal at the Winter Olympics.
Martin Brodeur, the Devils’ legend that’s won two Olympic golds, told TSN 1050 that Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo, Montreal’s Carey Price and Phoenix’s Mike Smith should be the three Canadian netminders for the ’14 Sochi games.
“I think it’s Luongo’s job to lose,” Brodeur explained. “He’s had a decent season so far and I think he should be the one who has a chance to start the tournament.”
Brodeur then alluded to the fact that heading into the Olympics as a starter doesn’t mean much. He speaks from experience — in 2010, Brodeur went into the Vancouver games as Canada’s No. 1, only to be usurped by Luongo, who went on to backstop his country to the gold medal.
As for the other goalies?
“I like Mike Smith, the way he plays the game, and Carey Price is probably going to be my second goalie if I had to pick,” Brodeur explained. “So there’s my three right there — Luongo, Smith and Carey Price.”
Brodeur and Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury, Canada’s other two goalies from the ’10 team, were not invited.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)