Oct 30, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
One of the greatest netminders ever has his choices for who should represent Team Canada in goal at the Winter Olympics.
Martin Brodeur, the Devils’ legend that’s won two Olympic golds, told TSN 1050 that Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo, Montreal’s Carey Price and Phoenix’s Mike Smith should be the three Canadian netminders for the ’14 Sochi games.
“I think it’s Luongo’s job to lose,” Brodeur explained. “He’s had a decent season so far and I think he should be the one who has a chance to start the tournament.”
Brodeur then alluded to the fact that heading into the Olympics as a starter doesn’t mean much. He speaks from experience — in 2010, Brodeur went into the Vancouver games as Canada’s No. 1, only to be usurped by Luongo, who went on to backstop his country to the gold medal.
As for the other goalies?
“I like Mike Smith, the way he plays the game, and Carey Price is probably going to be my second goalie if I had to pick,” Brodeur explained. “So there’s my three right there — Luongo, Smith and Carey Price.”
Brodeur and Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury, Canada’s other two goalies from the ’10 team, were not invited.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)