Oct 30, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
One of the greatest netminders ever has his choices for who should represent Team Canada in goal at the Winter Olympics.
Martin Brodeur, the Devils’ legend that’s won two Olympic golds, told TSN 1050 that Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo, Montreal’s Carey Price and Phoenix’s Mike Smith should be the three Canadian netminders for the ’14 Sochi games.
“I think it’s Luongo’s job to lose,” Brodeur explained. “He’s had a decent season so far and I think he should be the one who has a chance to start the tournament.”
Brodeur then alluded to the fact that heading into the Olympics as a starter doesn’t mean much. He speaks from experience — in 2010, Brodeur went into the Vancouver games as Canada’s No. 1, only to be usurped by Luongo, who went on to backstop his country to the gold medal.
As for the other goalies?
“I like Mike Smith, the way he plays the game, and Carey Price is probably going to be my second goalie if I had to pick,” Brodeur explained. “So there’s my three right there — Luongo, Smith and Carey Price.”
Brodeur and Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury, Canada’s other two goalies from the ’10 team, were not invited.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)