Oct 30, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
One of the greatest netminders ever has his choices for who should represent Team Canada in goal at the Winter Olympics.
Martin Brodeur, the Devils’ legend that’s won two Olympic golds, told TSN 1050 that Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo, Montreal’s Carey Price and Phoenix’s Mike Smith should be the three Canadian netminders for the ’14 Sochi games.
“I think it’s Luongo’s job to lose,” Brodeur explained. “He’s had a decent season so far and I think he should be the one who has a chance to start the tournament.”
Brodeur then alluded to the fact that heading into the Olympics as a starter doesn’t mean much. He speaks from experience — in 2010, Brodeur went into the Vancouver games as Canada’s No. 1, only to be usurped by Luongo, who went on to backstop his country to the gold medal.
As for the other goalies?
“I like Mike Smith, the way he plays the game, and Carey Price is probably going to be my second goalie if I had to pick,” Brodeur explained. “So there’s my three right there — Luongo, Smith and Carey Price.”
Brodeur and Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury, Canada’s other two goalies from the ’10 team, were not invited.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)