Oct 30, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
One of the greatest netminders ever has his choices for who should represent Team Canada in goal at the Winter Olympics.
Martin Brodeur, the Devils’ legend that’s won two Olympic golds, told TSN 1050 that Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo, Montreal’s Carey Price and Phoenix’s Mike Smith should be the three Canadian netminders for the ’14 Sochi games.
“I think it’s Luongo’s job to lose,” Brodeur explained. “He’s had a decent season so far and I think he should be the one who has a chance to start the tournament.”
Brodeur then alluded to the fact that heading into the Olympics as a starter doesn’t mean much. He speaks from experience — in 2010, Brodeur went into the Vancouver games as Canada’s No. 1, only to be usurped by Luongo, who went on to backstop his country to the gold medal.
As for the other goalies?
“I like Mike Smith, the way he plays the game, and Carey Price is probably going to be my second goalie if I had to pick,” Brodeur explained. “So there’s my three right there — Luongo, Smith and Carey Price.”
Brodeur and Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury, Canada’s other two goalies from the ’10 team, were not invited.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (90)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)