Oct 29, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
One of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL, San Jose’s Marc-Edouard Vlasic (aka Pickles) received quite the compliment recently from his coach, Todd McClellan.
“He is a big part of our team,” McLellan said, per NHL.com. “I thought six years ago when I started here, he was a very good defenseman. He was partnered with Rob Blake and was very comfortable with that. When Blake retired, it took him a little while to get used to playing with different people.
“Now, he’s the go-to guy. He’s the Rob Blake for us.”
Vlasic was also one of 17 blue-liners invited to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp in August.
The way he’s playing right now, he may just end up going to Sochi.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18