Oct 29, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
One of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL, San Jose’s Marc-Edouard Vlasic (aka Pickles) received quite the compliment recently from his coach, Todd McClellan.
“He is a big part of our team,” McLellan said, per NHL.com. “I thought six years ago when I started here, he was a very good defenseman. He was partnered with Rob Blake and was very comfortable with that. When Blake retired, it took him a little while to get used to playing with different people.
“Now, he’s the go-to guy. He’s the Rob Blake for us.”
Vlasic was also one of 17 blue-liners invited to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp in August.
The way he’s playing right now, he may just end up going to Sochi.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)