Oct 29, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
One of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL, San Jose’s Marc-Edouard Vlasic (aka Pickles) received quite the compliment recently from his coach, Todd McClellan.
“He is a big part of our team,” McLellan said, per NHL.com. “I thought six years ago when I started here, he was a very good defenseman. He was partnered with Rob Blake and was very comfortable with that. When Blake retired, it took him a little while to get used to playing with different people.
“Now, he’s the go-to guy. He’s the Rob Blake for us.”
Vlasic was also one of 17 blue-liners invited to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp in August.
The way he’s playing right now, he may just end up going to Sochi.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 0
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 6
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11