Oct 29, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Given all the bizarre plays the 2013 World Series has provided, it was fitting one of the goals in St. Louis tonight had a baseball-like flair.
Midway through the Jets-Blues game — with Winnipeg trailing by one — Jets forward Blake Wheeler batted home his second power play goal of the season, making solid contact with a pop fly off an Andrew Ladd shot:
Ladd’s shot appeared to ramp off Jaroslav’s stick, approximately 10 feet in the air. Crazy play.
Crazier, though, might’ve been that Winnipeg actually scored with the man advantage. The Jets came into tonight having failed to score a power play goal in its last eight games (0-for-25), a slump that caused head coach Claude Noel to voice his displeasure on Sunday night.
Video’s below, but here are the transcribed highlights:
“The power play’s getting old, but these are the same players that we had last year. I think what we’re proving is there’s a reason why we were last last year.
“At the end of the day, we don’t make the greatest decisions. We don’t execute, and this is the same stuff we lamented about before. We all know and you guys know it ended up costing us the game. We were 0-for-5. It cost us the game, because it’s a momentum-killer.
“It’s like shooting yourself in the foot over and over. It does a lot of things to you, and none of it’s positive. It demoralizes you, takes momentum away and it adds frustration.”
As mentioned, here’s the clip. The good stuff starts around 2:20.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 0
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)