Oct 29, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
In the shortened 2013 campaign, Alexander Steen had eight goals in 40 games and his career-high is 24 markers set in 2009-10. This season the 29-year-old forward already has 10 goals in nine games.
That hot start matches what Brett Hull accomplished early in 1989-90 and 1990-91 when he went on to net 72 and 86 goals respectively.
“I don’t think we should be comparing myself to Brett Hull,” Steen told reporters, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Clearly, Steen isn’t going to score 70 or more goals this season. He’s going to cool down at some point and have some goal scoring slumps over the course of the season. He also has a 38.5 shooting percentage, which in all likelihood isn’t even close to the realm of sustainability.
At the same time, what he’s accomplished already is remarkable and raises questions about if the former first round pick has managed to take his game a notch higher.
“I’m enjoying playing with those two,” Steen said. “They work extremely hard. It’s been a pleasure for me to play with those two. Osh’s efforts on the forecheck, Backes’ reads and hits is what is creating all these situations for me.”
On top of that, just being allowed to stay on one line as opposed to being shuffled around has boosted Steen’s confidence.
That trio is likely to stick together tonight against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)