Oct 29, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
In the shortened 2013 campaign, Alexander Steen had eight goals in 40 games and his career-high is 24 markers set in 2009-10. This season the 29-year-old forward already has 10 goals in nine games.
That hot start matches what Brett Hull accomplished early in 1989-90 and 1990-91 when he went on to net 72 and 86 goals respectively.
“I don’t think we should be comparing myself to Brett Hull,” Steen told reporters, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Clearly, Steen isn’t going to score 70 or more goals this season. He’s going to cool down at some point and have some goal scoring slumps over the course of the season. He also has a 38.5 shooting percentage, which in all likelihood isn’t even close to the realm of sustainability.
At the same time, what he’s accomplished already is remarkable and raises questions about if the former first round pick has managed to take his game a notch higher.
“I’m enjoying playing with those two,” Steen said. “They work extremely hard. It’s been a pleasure for me to play with those two. Osh’s efforts on the forecheck, Backes’ reads and hits is what is creating all these situations for me.”
On top of that, just being allowed to stay on one line as opposed to being shuffled around has boosted Steen’s confidence.
That trio is likely to stick together tonight against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)