Oct 29, 2013, 9:33 AM EST
In the shortened 2013 campaign, Alexander Steen had eight goals in 40 games and his career-high is 24 markers set in 2009-10. This season the 29-year-old forward already has 10 goals in nine games.
That hot start matches what Brett Hull accomplished early in 1989-90 and 1990-91 when he went on to net 72 and 86 goals respectively.
“I don’t think we should be comparing myself to Brett Hull,” Steen told reporters, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Clearly, Steen isn’t going to score 70 or more goals this season. He’s going to cool down at some point and have some goal scoring slumps over the course of the season. He also has a 38.5 shooting percentage, which in all likelihood isn’t even close to the realm of sustainability.
At the same time, what he’s accomplished already is remarkable and raises questions about if the former first round pick has managed to take his game a notch higher.
“I’m enjoying playing with those two,” Steen said. “They work extremely hard. It’s been a pleasure for me to play with those two. Osh’s efforts on the forecheck, Backes’ reads and hits is what is creating all these situations for me.”
On top of that, just being allowed to stay on one line as opposed to being shuffled around has boosted Steen’s confidence.
That trio is likely to stick together tonight against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)