Oct 29, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
In the shortened 2013 campaign, Alexander Steen had eight goals in 40 games and his career-high is 24 markers set in 2009-10. This season the 29-year-old forward already has 10 goals in nine games.
That hot start matches what Brett Hull accomplished early in 1989-90 and 1990-91 when he went on to net 72 and 86 goals respectively.
“I don’t think we should be comparing myself to Brett Hull,” Steen told reporters, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Clearly, Steen isn’t going to score 70 or more goals this season. He’s going to cool down at some point and have some goal scoring slumps over the course of the season. He also has a 38.5 shooting percentage, which in all likelihood isn’t even close to the realm of sustainability.
At the same time, what he’s accomplished already is remarkable and raises questions about if the former first round pick has managed to take his game a notch higher.
“I’m enjoying playing with those two,” Steen said. “They work extremely hard. It’s been a pleasure for me to play with those two. Osh’s efforts on the forecheck, Backes’ reads and hits is what is creating all these situations for me.”
On top of that, just being allowed to stay on one line as opposed to being shuffled around has boosted Steen’s confidence.
That trio is likely to stick together tonight against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)