Oct 29, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
After watching his “frustrated” team score just four goals in three consecutive home losses, Paul MacLean has loaded up his top line.
The Ottawa head coach put leading scorers Jason Spezza and Bobby Ryan on his No. 1 unit for Tuedsday’s game in Chicago, as per NHL.com. The move reunites Spezza and Ryan — who started the year together — along with Milan Michalek, who could use a bit of a boost offensively as he’s only scored two goals in his first 11 games.
“We played together earlier in the year and I was banged up a little bit,” explained Spezza, the team’s leading scorer with 11 points. “So we’ll get another opportunity to play together and hopefully we’ll make the most of it.
“If we’re going to play together, we have to help guide the team offensively.”
Spezza, who orchestrated a players-only meeting on Monday, has been a constant point producer this season, as has Ryan (six goals, nine points). As such, there are few concerns about the two discovering chemistry — but there are worries about the Sens getting production from their other three forward lines, specifically the second.
To that end, MacLean has moved Mika Zibanejad from center to wing, and promoted him to the No. 2 unit. The 20-year-old sophomore has 1G-1A in three games since being recalled from AHL Binghamton, and will skate alongside Clarke MacArthur and Kyle Turris against the Blackhawks.
“Kind of the rule we have in Ottawa is if you play well, you get to play,” MacLean explained. “Since he’s come up here, he’s played well. So, if you’re playing well, we’d better get you on the ice and get you playing with as good of players as we can play you with.”
Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”
Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
They’re back at it in Edmonton tonight.
Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’
Oct 24, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Denials from NHL and Coyotes.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
“I’m going to focus on the good and try to clean up the bad parts. That’s my job.”
Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Click to see Boston’s schedule through the end of November.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Oct 24, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
Retroactive to Oct. 21.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
“We’ve given up more odd-man rushes in six hockey games than we did in two months last year.”
Oct 24, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
“Talks are open-ended.”
Oct 24, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Boston attempts to fill hole left by Chara.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
The Wild center becomes a restricted free agent after this season.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
With time off in Calgary, players participate in team building event.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT
Scott Hartnell’s four assists included a wondrous “kick-pass.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT
His 33rd goose egg breaks a brief tie with Rogie Vachon.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
This one didn’t come against Colorado, either.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
They’ll also have a tribute to Nathan Cirillo.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:49 AM EDT
Chris Kelly calls him “irreplaceable.”
Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Grim times for Carolina.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
The Bruins haven’t confirmed or denied the dire update.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 9
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 12
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)