Oct 29, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
After watching his “frustrated” team score just four goals in three consecutive home losses, Paul MacLean has loaded up his top line.
The Ottawa head coach put leading scorers Jason Spezza and Bobby Ryan on his No. 1 unit for Tuedsday’s game in Chicago, as per NHL.com. The move reunites Spezza and Ryan — who started the year together — along with Milan Michalek, who could use a bit of a boost offensively as he’s only scored two goals in his first 11 games.
“We played together earlier in the year and I was banged up a little bit,” explained Spezza, the team’s leading scorer with 11 points. “So we’ll get another opportunity to play together and hopefully we’ll make the most of it.
“If we’re going to play together, we have to help guide the team offensively.”
Spezza, who orchestrated a players-only meeting on Monday, has been a constant point producer this season, as has Ryan (six goals, nine points). As such, there are few concerns about the two discovering chemistry — but there are worries about the Sens getting production from their other three forward lines, specifically the second.
To that end, MacLean has moved Mika Zibanejad from center to wing, and promoted him to the No. 2 unit. The 20-year-old sophomore has 1G-1A in three games since being recalled from AHL Binghamton, and will skate alongside Clarke MacArthur and Kyle Turris against the Blackhawks.
“Kind of the rule we have in Ottawa is if you play well, you get to play,” MacLean explained. “Since he’s come up here, he’s played well. So, if you’re playing well, we’d better get you on the ice and get you playing with as good of players as we can play you with.”
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)