Oct 29, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
After watching his “frustrated” team score just four goals in three consecutive home losses, Paul MacLean has loaded up his top line.
The Ottawa head coach put leading scorers Jason Spezza and Bobby Ryan on his No. 1 unit for Tuedsday’s game in Chicago, as per NHL.com. The move reunites Spezza and Ryan — who started the year together — along with Milan Michalek, who could use a bit of a boost offensively as he’s only scored two goals in his first 11 games.
“We played together earlier in the year and I was banged up a little bit,” explained Spezza, the team’s leading scorer with 11 points. “So we’ll get another opportunity to play together and hopefully we’ll make the most of it.
“If we’re going to play together, we have to help guide the team offensively.”
Spezza, who orchestrated a players-only meeting on Monday, has been a constant point producer this season, as has Ryan (six goals, nine points). As such, there are few concerns about the two discovering chemistry — but there are worries about the Sens getting production from their other three forward lines, specifically the second.
To that end, MacLean has moved Mika Zibanejad from center to wing, and promoted him to the No. 2 unit. The 20-year-old sophomore has 1G-1A in three games since being recalled from AHL Binghamton, and will skate alongside Clarke MacArthur and Kyle Turris against the Blackhawks.
“Kind of the rule we have in Ottawa is if you play well, you get to play,” MacLean explained. “Since he’s come up here, he’s played well. So, if you’re playing well, we’d better get you on the ice and get you playing with as good of players as we can play you with.”
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8