Oct 29, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
If you were among the many who thought the Islanders gave up too much (Matt Moulson, a first-round pick, and a second-round pick) to get Thomas Vanek from the Sabres, this report from Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston may help explain things:
Sources tell sportsnet.ca that Buffalo has retained 19.5 percent of Vanek’s $6.4-million salary (plus the same portion of his $7.14-million cap hit), which helps explain why the Sabres received first- and second-round picks along with Moulson for Vanek.
New York is among the lowest spenders in the NHL and may have needed part of Vanek’s salary to be held back in order to remain under an internal budget.
Assuming the above information is accurate, the Sabres’ willingness to retain salary will end up saving the Isles around a million bucks. Not a ton of money, relatively speaking. But was it enough to convince the Isles to, say, throw in that second-rounder?
Related: What’s Garth Snow thinking?
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)