Oct 29, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
If you were among the many who thought the Islanders gave up too much (Matt Moulson, a first-round pick, and a second-round pick) to get Thomas Vanek from the Sabres, this report from Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston may help explain things:
Sources tell sportsnet.ca that Buffalo has retained 19.5 percent of Vanek’s $6.4-million salary (plus the same portion of his $7.14-million cap hit), which helps explain why the Sabres received first- and second-round picks along with Moulson for Vanek.
New York is among the lowest spenders in the NHL and may have needed part of Vanek’s salary to be held back in order to remain under an internal budget.
Assuming the above information is accurate, the Sabres’ willingness to retain salary will end up saving the Isles around a million bucks. Not a ton of money, relatively speaking. But was it enough to convince the Isles to, say, throw in that second-rounder?
Related: What’s Garth Snow thinking?
May 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Could play on Wednesday against Russia.
May 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Game 3 between the Rangers and Capitals is the lone game on the schedule.
May 4, 2015, 8:05 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 4, 2015, 1:04 AM EDT
The last team to open the playoffs with at least six straight wins was Pittsburgh in 2008.
May 4, 2015, 12:18 AM EDT
He’ll be looking for the Wild to do better mentally at home.
May 3, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
There are three contests scheduled for Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 11:36 PM EDT
He seemed initially dazed, but stayed in the game.
May 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago now has a 2-0 series lead.
May 3, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk had some bad luck on this one.
May 3, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
“He tries to play God. He tries to control the game and he did that tonight.”
May 3, 2015, 9:14 PM EDT
Prust and Bishop have a history.
May 3, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
The series will now return to Tampa Bay where the Lightning were 32-8-1 in the regular season.
May 3, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
This might lead to Jonathan Drouin playing in Game 3.
May 3, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT
How far can the Lightning go if he gets hot?
May 3, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
Valtteri Filppula snuck one by Carey Price.
May 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
At one point 14 squads were believed to be interested in his services.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first time he’s out of the lineup since the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
May 3, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Exactly when that will be remains to be seen.
May 3, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
It’s rarely easy for young stars.
May 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s working nicely with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)