Oct 29, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Not only did the Sabres retain part of Vanek’s salary in the deal, as per Sportsnet’s report earlier today, they also gave the Islanders an insurance policy of sorts:
TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun added Tuesday that if the 2014 first-round draft pick acquired by Buffalo in the deal ends up being a Top 10 selection in June, the Islanders would have the option to defer the pick to the 2015 draft.
So basically, if the Isles stumble badly this season, they’re off the hook. Not that that’s their intention, but it’s nice to be covered, right?
Related: What’s Garth Snow thinking?
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13