Oct 29, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
You may recall early in September when the agent for Vancouver’s Sedin twins, JP Barry, suggested that term would be a “big topic” in contract negotiations with the Canucks.
At the time, the Sedins were believed to be looking for a longer term than the club was thinking. And almost two months later, with no extension yet signed, not a whole lot appears to have changed.
“They’re in great shape and will always be that way,” Barry said yesterday of his 33-year-old clients, per The Province.
The insinuation there was obvious.
On top of that, Barry noted the twins “have never relied on speed that much,” which could serve as a good counter-argument should the Canucks contend that players really start losing their legs in their late 30s.
The way the Sedins have started the 2013-14 season, with a combined 31 points in 14 games, nothing has lessened Barry’s chances of getting a good deal for his clients. Without those two, there’s almost no way the Canucks would be 9-4-1 after 14 games.
Of course, these negotiations don’t appear to be so much about the present as three or four years down the road.
According to The Province, Barry met with Canucks general manager Mike Gillis “for a couple of hours Monday, trying to hammer out a contract extension for the twins,” so it’s possible there may be some more definitive news on this soon.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)