Oct 29, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
The New York Rangers will get a much-needed injection of energy into the lineup tonight, as speedy winger Carl Hagelin will make his regular season debut against the Islanders.
“He brings a speed dimension obviously,” head coach Alain Vigneault said. “A guy that can help us create turnovers and probably — most definitely — spend a lot more time in the other team’s end.
“He’s been a big part of this team.”
Hagelin, 25, had offseason shoulder surgery that cost him the entire preseason and the first 10 games of the year. The Rangers are hopeful it won’t be long to find his 2013 form — the lockout-shortened campaign was a good one for Hagelin, as he posted 10 goals and 24 points in 48 games, chipping in with another six points in 12 playoff contests.
He also averaged 17:18 TOI per game in the regular season — up from 15:03 in his rookie year — and played over 18 a night during the postseason.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)