Oct 29, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
The New York Rangers will get a much-needed injection of energy into the lineup tonight, as speedy winger Carl Hagelin will make his regular season debut against the Islanders.
“He brings a speed dimension obviously,” head coach Alain Vigneault said. “A guy that can help us create turnovers and probably — most definitely — spend a lot more time in the other team’s end.
“He’s been a big part of this team.”
Hagelin, 25, had offseason shoulder surgery that cost him the entire preseason and the first 10 games of the year. The Rangers are hopeful it won’t be long to find his 2013 form — the lockout-shortened campaign was a good one for Hagelin, as he posted 10 goals and 24 points in 48 games, chipping in with another six points in 12 playoff contests.
He also averaged 17:18 TOI per game in the regular season — up from 15:03 in his rookie year — and played over 18 a night during the postseason.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5