Oct 29, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins suffered another injury blow on Tuesday, as the club announced forward Chuck Kobasew would be lost to 3-4 weeks with a lower-body ailment.
Kobasew, 31, signed a one-year deal with Pittsburgh after attending camp on a PTO and has played well, scoring two goals in 12 games while averaging 12:32 TOI per night.
With the injury — suffered on a first-period hit by Carolina’s Tim Gleason on Monday — Kobasew joins a list of wounded Penguins that includes defenseman Rob Scuderi (broken ankle), forward Beau Bennett (lower body), forward James Neal (upper body) and goalie Tomas Vokoun (blood clot in hip).
The Kobasew, Bennett and Neal injuries could pave the way for Jayson Megna to make a more permanent impact with the big club. Megna, an undrafted free agent out of Nebraska Omaha, registered his first NHL goal, assist and points in the 3-1 win over Carolina, in just under 11 minutes of action.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)