Oct 29, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins suffered another injury blow on Tuesday, as the club announced forward Chuck Kobasew would be lost to 3-4 weeks with a lower-body ailment.
Kobasew, 31, signed a one-year deal with Pittsburgh after attending camp on a PTO and has played well, scoring two goals in 12 games while averaging 12:32 TOI per night.
With the injury — suffered on a first-period hit by Carolina’s Tim Gleason on Monday — Kobasew joins a list of wounded Penguins that includes defenseman Rob Scuderi (broken ankle), forward Beau Bennett (lower body), forward James Neal (upper body) and goalie Tomas Vokoun (blood clot in hip).
The Kobasew, Bennett and Neal injuries could pave the way for Jayson Megna to make a more permanent impact with the big club. Megna, an undrafted free agent out of Nebraska Omaha, registered his first NHL goal, assist and points in the 3-1 win over Carolina, in just under 11 minutes of action.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)