Oct 29, 2013, 8:48 AM EST
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the New Jersey Devils host the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Prudential Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
New Jersey defeated the Boston Bruins in dramatic fashion on Saturday, scoring two power-play goals in the final two minutes of play to earn a 4-3 victory. Come-from-behind wins can be a big morale booster, but that victory will look awfully hollow if it doesn’t mark the beginning of a winning streak.
“I think we’re cautiously optimistic,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “The message is we’re doing more and more right every week. I really believe that and I think it’s starting to show and result in some wins and some points.”
Related: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $3,000 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Tuesday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $600. Starts at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the link.
Beating the Tampa Bay Lightning won’t be a simple task though. They entered the 2013-14 campaign with a lot of question marks, but have managed to exceed expectations in this early stage of the season.
A big part of their early success has been goalie Ben Bishop. He might not be regarded as one of the best netminders in the league, but he’s brought stability to their goaltending situation after years of uncertainty. Then of course there’s the Lightning’s core group of forwards.
Stamkos is one of the greatest players in the game today and he’s back by the reigning Art Ross Trophy-winner Martin St. Louis. Valtteri Filppula has also been a key contributor early on after inking a hefty five-year, $25 million contract over the summer.
With Cory Schneider still sidelined, that trio will be a significant challenge for Martin Brodeur. The 41-year-old future Hall of Famer has shown his age in recent years and hasn’t even posted a save percentage of .900 or higher in a single game this season. On the flip side, Schneider’s injury has provided Brodeur with an opportunity to get back into a rhythm and perhaps he’ll respond positively to that.
The Devils certainly need to hope so because comebacks like the one they had on Saturday don’t come around all that often. If the 2-5-4 Devils want to turn their season around, they need to start winning some games outright.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST
The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
He’s being evaluated in hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST
Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)