Oct 29, 2013, 8:48 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the New Jersey Devils host the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Prudential Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
New Jersey defeated the Boston Bruins in dramatic fashion on Saturday, scoring two power-play goals in the final two minutes of play to earn a 4-3 victory. Come-from-behind wins can be a big morale booster, but that victory will look awfully hollow if it doesn’t mark the beginning of a winning streak.
“I think we’re cautiously optimistic,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “The message is we’re doing more and more right every week. I really believe that and I think it’s starting to show and result in some wins and some points.”
Related: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $3,000 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Tuesday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $600. Starts at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the link.
Beating the Tampa Bay Lightning won’t be a simple task though. They entered the 2013-14 campaign with a lot of question marks, but have managed to exceed expectations in this early stage of the season.
A big part of their early success has been goalie Ben Bishop. He might not be regarded as one of the best netminders in the league, but he’s brought stability to their goaltending situation after years of uncertainty. Then of course there’s the Lightning’s core group of forwards.
Stamkos is one of the greatest players in the game today and he’s back by the reigning Art Ross Trophy-winner Martin St. Louis. Valtteri Filppula has also been a key contributor early on after inking a hefty five-year, $25 million contract over the summer.
With Cory Schneider still sidelined, that trio will be a significant challenge for Martin Brodeur. The 41-year-old future Hall of Famer has shown his age in recent years and hasn’t even posted a save percentage of .900 or higher in a single game this season. On the flip side, Schneider’s injury has provided Brodeur with an opportunity to get back into a rhythm and perhaps he’ll respond positively to that.
The Devils certainly need to hope so because comebacks like the one they had on Saturday don’t come around all that often. If the 2-5-4 Devils want to turn their season around, they need to start winning some games outright.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:54 AM EDT
Jumping around a busy Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Was it a dirty hit?
Oct 25, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist didn’t star, but grabbed an assist.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Seems like a broken record, right?
Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Maybe the headline should read goaltending optional instead?
Oct 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Dougie Hamilton’s had a strong night.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Challenging night for Tampa Bay.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Things didn’t look particularly “right” on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Habs face Chris Kreider, David Backes vs. Brent Seabrook on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Yikes on so many levels.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist plays in Nashville as a visitor for the first time.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
The 21-year-old was recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The rookie defensmen were recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
A rematch of last spring’s playoff series.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Suffered a skate cut to his right eyelid Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Antti Raanta and Brian Elliott go head-to-head as the Blackhawks and Blues battle in St. Louis.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)