Oct 29, 2013, 8:48 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the New Jersey Devils host the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Prudential Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
New Jersey defeated the Boston Bruins in dramatic fashion on Saturday, scoring two power-play goals in the final two minutes of play to earn a 4-3 victory. Come-from-behind wins can be a big morale booster, but that victory will look awfully hollow if it doesn’t mark the beginning of a winning streak.
“I think we’re cautiously optimistic,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “The message is we’re doing more and more right every week. I really believe that and I think it’s starting to show and result in some wins and some points.”
Related: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $3,000 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Tuesday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $600. Starts at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the link.
Beating the Tampa Bay Lightning won’t be a simple task though. They entered the 2013-14 campaign with a lot of question marks, but have managed to exceed expectations in this early stage of the season.
A big part of their early success has been goalie Ben Bishop. He might not be regarded as one of the best netminders in the league, but he’s brought stability to their goaltending situation after years of uncertainty. Then of course there’s the Lightning’s core group of forwards.
Stamkos is one of the greatest players in the game today and he’s back by the reigning Art Ross Trophy-winner Martin St. Louis. Valtteri Filppula has also been a key contributor early on after inking a hefty five-year, $25 million contract over the summer.
With Cory Schneider still sidelined, that trio will be a significant challenge for Martin Brodeur. The 41-year-old future Hall of Famer has shown his age in recent years and hasn’t even posted a save percentage of .900 or higher in a single game this season. On the flip side, Schneider’s injury has provided Brodeur with an opportunity to get back into a rhythm and perhaps he’ll respond positively to that.
The Devils certainly need to hope so because comebacks like the one they had on Saturday don’t come around all that often. If the 2-5-4 Devils want to turn their season around, they need to start winning some games outright.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)