Oct 29, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
Here’s all the latest from the crease…
King Henrik dethroned, temporarily
Interesting decision out of New York on Tuesday, as the Rangers announced they’ll turn back to rookie netminder Cam Talbot in the second of back-to-back games.
Henrik Lundqvist, who was in goal for Monday’s 2-0 loss to Montreal, told the team he wanted to play tonight against the Islanders, but it appears the club is taking the cautious approach with the veteran netminder after he missed a pair of games to injury last week.
Lundqvist went 3-0-1 against the Isles last year, so rolling with Talbot — he of the two career NHL appearances — is a bit of a risky move. That said, Talbot was terrific in relief of Lundqvist over the aforementioned two-game absence, going 1-1-0 with a 1.94 GAA and .934 save percentage.
Philly keeps rolling with Mason
Remember the Flyers’ goalie timeshare? Yeah, neither do we.
Philadelphia announced that Steve Mason will start his fifth straight game on Tuesday against Anaheim, a game in which he’ll be looking for his third consecutive victory.
Mason, 25, has been a revelation for Philly this season, posting a 2.15 GAA and .930 save percentage in eight games played. His stellar netminding has all but rendered Ray Emery as a full-time backup — Emery, 31, has only appeared in two games this season and hasn’t seen game action since Oct. 12.
– Despite head coach Jack Capuano alluding to more playing time for Kevin Poulin, the Isles will start Evgeni Nabokov against the Rangers on Tuesday. Poulin got Saturday’s game against Philly — a 5-2 loss — and wasn’t great, allowing four goals on 31 shots.
– The Tampa Bay Lightning will continue to roll with Ben Bishop tonight against the Devils, to nobody’s surprise.
– St. Louis will start Jaroslav Halak against the Jets on Tuesday. It will be Halak’s third straight start and ninth in 10 games this season.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)