Oct 29, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
Here’s all the latest from the crease…
King Henrik dethroned, temporarily
Interesting decision out of New York on Tuesday, as the Rangers announced they’ll turn back to rookie netminder Cam Talbot in the second of back-to-back games.
Henrik Lundqvist, who was in goal for Monday’s 2-0 loss to Montreal, told the team he wanted to play tonight against the Islanders, but it appears the club is taking the cautious approach with the veteran netminder after he missed a pair of games to injury last week.
Lundqvist went 3-0-1 against the Isles last year, so rolling with Talbot — he of the two career NHL appearances — is a bit of a risky move. That said, Talbot was terrific in relief of Lundqvist over the aforementioned two-game absence, going 1-1-0 with a 1.94 GAA and .934 save percentage.
Philly keeps rolling with Mason
Remember the Flyers’ goalie timeshare? Yeah, neither do we.
Philadelphia announced that Steve Mason will start his fifth straight game on Tuesday against Anaheim, a game in which he’ll be looking for his third consecutive victory.
Mason, 25, has been a revelation for Philly this season, posting a 2.15 GAA and .930 save percentage in eight games played. His stellar netminding has all but rendered Ray Emery as a full-time backup — Emery, 31, has only appeared in two games this season and hasn’t seen game action since Oct. 12.
– Despite head coach Jack Capuano alluding to more playing time for Kevin Poulin, the Isles will start Evgeni Nabokov against the Rangers on Tuesday. Poulin got Saturday’s game against Philly — a 5-2 loss — and wasn’t great, allowing four goals on 31 shots.
– The Tampa Bay Lightning will continue to roll with Ben Bishop tonight against the Devils, to nobody’s surprise.
– St. Louis will start Jaroslav Halak against the Jets on Tuesday. It will be Halak’s third straight start and ninth in 10 games this season.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)