Oct 29, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Winners of two straight after a disastrous 1-7-0 start that saw their head coach fired, the Philadelphia Flyers were using all the good clichés ahead of tonight’s visit from the Ducks.
“We’ve got to go game by game,” captain Claude Giroux said, per CSN Philly. “And when we do that, we’re going to get closer to the playoffs. There’s a lot of games left. We don’t need to panic or anything, we’re playing good hockey. Every game’s going to be a big game. Every team can win games. For us to climb back up and stay up, it’s going to be important for us to keep winning games.”
Philadelphia had its best outing of the season Saturday in a 5-2 win over the Islanders — a victory that was highlighted by a hat trick from veteran Vincent Lecavalier.
“This was a really good game for me and for the team,” said Lecavalier, calling the win “a good confidence boost for everybody. It feels really good to score more than two goals.”
Giroux assisted on a pair of Lecavalier’s goals; however, the 25-year-old is still searching for the first goal of his own, something that seems less likely to come unless he starts getting more shots.
In Giroux’s last five games, he’s registered a mere eight shots combined. In 10 games total, he only has 22 shots, an average of 2.2. Last season, he averaged 2.9. The season before, it was 3.1.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)