Oct 29, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Winners of two straight after a disastrous 1-7-0 start that saw their head coach fired, the Philadelphia Flyers were using all the good clichés ahead of tonight’s visit from the Ducks.
“We’ve got to go game by game,” captain Claude Giroux said, per CSN Philly. “And when we do that, we’re going to get closer to the playoffs. There’s a lot of games left. We don’t need to panic or anything, we’re playing good hockey. Every game’s going to be a big game. Every team can win games. For us to climb back up and stay up, it’s going to be important for us to keep winning games.”
Philadelphia had its best outing of the season Saturday in a 5-2 win over the Islanders — a victory that was highlighted by a hat trick from veteran Vincent Lecavalier.
“This was a really good game for me and for the team,” said Lecavalier, calling the win “a good confidence boost for everybody. It feels really good to score more than two goals.”
Giroux assisted on a pair of Lecavalier’s goals; however, the 25-year-old is still searching for the first goal of his own, something that seems less likely to come unless he starts getting more shots.
In Giroux’s last five games, he’s registered a mere eight shots combined. In 10 games total, he only has 22 shots, an average of 2.2. Last season, he averaged 2.9. The season before, it was 3.1.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)