Oct 29, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Winners of two straight after a disastrous 1-7-0 start that saw their head coach fired, the Philadelphia Flyers were using all the good clichés ahead of tonight’s visit from the Ducks.
“We’ve got to go game by game,” captain Claude Giroux said, per CSN Philly. “And when we do that, we’re going to get closer to the playoffs. There’s a lot of games left. We don’t need to panic or anything, we’re playing good hockey. Every game’s going to be a big game. Every team can win games. For us to climb back up and stay up, it’s going to be important for us to keep winning games.”
Philadelphia had its best outing of the season Saturday in a 5-2 win over the Islanders — a victory that was highlighted by a hat trick from veteran Vincent Lecavalier.
“This was a really good game for me and for the team,” said Lecavalier, calling the win “a good confidence boost for everybody. It feels really good to score more than two goals.”
Giroux assisted on a pair of Lecavalier’s goals; however, the 25-year-old is still searching for the first goal of his own, something that seems less likely to come unless he starts getting more shots.
In Giroux’s last five games, he’s registered a mere eight shots combined. In 10 games total, he only has 22 shots, an average of 2.2. Last season, he averaged 2.9. The season before, it was 3.1.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)