Oct 29, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames had some tough injury updates to share on Tuesday, announcing that captain Mark Giordano was put on injured reserve with a broken ankle, while veteran winger Lee Stempniak would be lost for 3-4 weeks with a broken foot.
Giordano, 29, will be out of action for 6-8 weeks.
A former standout with OHL Owen Sound, Giordano signed with the Flames as an undrafted free agent in 2004 and worked his way through the American Hockey League before making his NHL debut in 2005-06.
In 2010, he signed a five-year, $20 million deal with the Flames and, this past September, was named the 19th captain in franchise history.
Giordano’s had an outstanding season thus far — nine points in eight games — and is a huge loss on the club’s blueline, given he often plays over 25 minutes a night.
Losing Stempniak will hurt the Flames as well. The 30-year-old got off to a nice start — nine points in 10 games — and actually had a two-game goalscoring streak going prior to getting hurt.
The Flames have surprised many with a fairly impressive start to the season — 5-4-2, 12 points, three back of eighth-place Minnesota — and it’ll be interesting to see how the team adjusts to life without two of its most important veteran presences.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)