Oct 29, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
Gudas, 23, was tossed from Sunday’s 4-3 win over Florida after slashing at the Panthers’ bench with his stick. The incident was sparked by Florida forward Scottie Upshall, who squirted Gatorade at Gudas as he skated by.
“It’s something that works in our favor, so it’s good to see,” Lightning head coach Jon Cooper explained. “In the heat of the game, calls get made. Coaches disagree with calls all the time, so it’s in the nature. I respect the call (referee Tim Peel) made.
“I understand, partially, why he made it, but I think the league got it right.”
Here’s the incident in question:
Rescinding the misconduct is important because a player that accumulates three in a season is automatically suspended for one game. Gudas also saves himself a cool $200 in the process (that’s the fine amount for a game misconduct), but he wasn’t especially keen to discuss it.
“I don’t think there’s anything to talk about,” he said. “Last time I checked we were playing the Devils not the Panthers, so I’m focused on the game coming up.”
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 32
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10