Oct 29, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
The Blackhawks are set to meet President Obama for the second time in three years.
The ‘Hawks will visit with the president in honor of their 2013 Stanley Cup championship on Monday, the White House announced. The team will meet Obama at 2 p.m. ET and also visit the Walter Reed national Military Medical Center to “thank our veterans, wounded warriors, and their families for their courage and service to our country.”
Chicago last visited the White House in 2010, celebrating its first Stanley Cup championship in 49 years.
“I have to say, even by Chicago standards, 49 years, that’s a pretty long time,” Obama said in his ’10 speech. “To put that in perspective, the last time the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, a movie cost 69 cents. JFK had just moved into the White House. I was still in diapers.”
Following the address, the ‘Hawks presented Obama with a No. 44 jersey in honor of the 44th president of the United States.
“I thought he had a great speech,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville said of the ’10 visit. “A lot of good flashback memories about the route that we traveled.
“There are some highlights along the way. … He was a part of it as well and it was great.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)