Oct 29, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
The Blackhawks are set to meet President Obama for the second time in three years.
The ‘Hawks will visit with the president in honor of their 2013 Stanley Cup championship on Monday, the White House announced. The team will meet Obama at 2 p.m. ET and also visit the Walter Reed national Military Medical Center to “thank our veterans, wounded warriors, and their families for their courage and service to our country.”
Chicago last visited the White House in 2010, celebrating its first Stanley Cup championship in 49 years.
“I have to say, even by Chicago standards, 49 years, that’s a pretty long time,” Obama said in his ’10 speech. “To put that in perspective, the last time the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, a movie cost 69 cents. JFK had just moved into the White House. I was still in diapers.”
Following the address, the ‘Hawks presented Obama with a No. 44 jersey in honor of the 44th president of the United States.
“I thought he had a great speech,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville said of the ’10 visit. “A lot of good flashback memories about the route that we traveled.
“There are some highlights along the way. … He was a part of it as well and it was great.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)