Oct 29, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
The Blackhawks are set to meet President Obama for the second time in three years.
The ‘Hawks will visit with the president in honor of their 2013 Stanley Cup championship on Monday, the White House announced. The team will meet Obama at 2 p.m. ET and also visit the Walter Reed national Military Medical Center to “thank our veterans, wounded warriors, and their families for their courage and service to our country.”
Chicago last visited the White House in 2010, celebrating its first Stanley Cup championship in 49 years.
“I have to say, even by Chicago standards, 49 years, that’s a pretty long time,” Obama said in his ’10 speech. “To put that in perspective, the last time the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, a movie cost 69 cents. JFK had just moved into the White House. I was still in diapers.”
Following the address, the ‘Hawks presented Obama with a No. 44 jersey in honor of the 44th president of the United States.
“I thought he had a great speech,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville said of the ’10 visit. “A lot of good flashback memories about the route that we traveled.
“There are some highlights along the way. … He was a part of it as well and it was great.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)