Oct 29, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
Is the Bulin Wall crumbling?
On Tuesday against the Ottawa Senators, Chicago Blackhawks’ back-up goalie Nikolai Khabibulin was pulled just past the midway point of the second period after allowing four goals on 22 shots.
It’s the second consecutive start in which the 40-year-old veteran puck stopper has struggled to, well, stop pucks.
Five days ago, he gave up six goals on just 25 shots faced.
So, in two of three starts, he hasn’t necessarily given his teammates, including starting netminder Corey Crawford, sterling performances. For Crawford, Tuesday’s game was supposed to be a night off to rest up.
Instead, Crawford had to come back into the game after playing the night before. This may begin a discussion about whether the Blackhawks, defending Stanley Cup champs, have confidence in Khabibulin as the back-up going forward.
Of course, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville was saying all the right things prior to the game.
“We’re comfortable that he’s going to be a big part of it and help us out as we go along here … play well in front of him,” Quenneville said of Khabibulin, according to Brian Hedger of NHL.com.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)