Oct 29, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Step on up, Richard Bachman. You’re the next candidate for Edmonton’s starting goalie gig.
On Tuesday, the club announced that Bachman — who starred in his Oilers debut on Sunday against Los Angeles — would be back in goal tonight against Toronto.
Bachman, 26, was something of an afterthought upon signing a one-year deal with Edmonton in July. The club already had Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera in the fold, suggesting Bachman was brought in to battle for the No. 2 gig, but most likely to be the starter for AHL Oklahoma City.
And Bachman was exactly that to begin the year.
He appeared in eight games for the Barons, posting a 3-4-1 record with a 2.37 GAA and .925 save percentage. His fortune within the Oilers organization changed on Sunday, though, when he stepped in and gave Edmonton its best goaltending effort of the year, making 47 saves in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Kings.
“I thought he made it look real routine,” Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins said. “There was a couple times, like I said, a big save, but it was just business as usual. He wasn’t rattled in there with the amount of shots he was taking.
“I thought he kept himself real composed which kept our bench composed and our play composed. Good on that kid. He has opened up some eyes very quickly.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)