Oct 29, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Step on up, Richard Bachman. You’re the next candidate for Edmonton’s starting goalie gig.
On Tuesday, the club announced that Bachman — who starred in his Oilers debut on Sunday against Los Angeles — would be back in goal tonight against Toronto.
Bachman, 26, was something of an afterthought upon signing a one-year deal with Edmonton in July. The club already had Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera in the fold, suggesting Bachman was brought in to battle for the No. 2 gig, but most likely to be the starter for AHL Oklahoma City.
And Bachman was exactly that to begin the year.
He appeared in eight games for the Barons, posting a 3-4-1 record with a 2.37 GAA and .925 save percentage. His fortune within the Oilers organization changed on Sunday, though, when he stepped in and gave Edmonton its best goaltending effort of the year, making 47 saves in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Kings.
“I thought he made it look real routine,” Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins said. “There was a couple times, like I said, a big save, but it was just business as usual. He wasn’t rattled in there with the amount of shots he was taking.
“I thought he kept himself real composed which kept our bench composed and our play composed. Good on that kid. He has opened up some eyes very quickly.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 2
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)