Oct 28, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
They’ve underperformed even by the low standards applied to them and less than a month into the season, Vanek has been shipped to the New York Islanders in exchange for a first round pic, a second rounder, and forward Matt Moulson.
So what is the next step for the Sabres? If nothing else, this move left them with plenty of options.
There’s still months before the trade deadline, so they have plenty of time to decide whether they want to re-sign Moulson before his contract expires this summer or trade him for more draft picks and/or prospects. Moulson is a capable top-line forward and averaged nearly a point-per-game last season, so he’s likely to fetch a decent price if they opt to move him.
This will obviously also fuel the trade rumors surrounding Miller, but it sounds like nothing is imminent on that front either.
“I’ve really had no discussions of late with respect to any of our other potential free agents,” Sabres GM Darcy Regier told reports during last night’s press conference. “Ryan continues to play extremely well, as I know all of you know. Between him and Jhonas has really been at the forefront of terrific efforts of our hockey team right from the start.”
He also doesn’t want to completely write off this season despite the team’s 2-10-1 start.
“I think it will depend on how quickly and how much we can get the team to jell and get the players to grow and a combination of those two things,” Regier said. “I don’t know the answer to that, but I can tell you the younger players are growing right now. They are getting better. The team is getting better.”
How the Sabres do in the coming months will be another key factor, but clearly Regier is looking to the future and has made a commitment to building through the draft. Because of that, this probably isn’t the last blockbuster trade Buffalo will be involved in this season.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)