Oct 28, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
So yeah…it’s been a while. Over a decade actually.
Here’s a game recap we managed to dig up from all the way back on Feb. 14, 2001:
Adam Oates scored his second goal of the game with 41 seconds left in overtime as the Washington Capitals extended their unbeaten streak to eight games with a 4-3 victory over the Vancouver Canucks.
The Capitals blew a two-goal lead in the third period, but Oates helped them remain unbeaten on a six-game road trip.
Defenseman Sylvain Cote spotted Oates behind his defender and hit him with a perfect pass at the Canucks’ blue line. Oates moved into the right faceoff circle and fired a slap shot that beat goaltender Dan Cloutier to the stick side.
“It was a great pass by Coco (Cote). It just went over the d-man’s stick,” Oates said. “It gave me lots of time and I made a great shot.”
Oates still remembers that winner.
“You never forget a goal,” Oates said today after the morning skate at Rogers Arena, per the Washington Post. “On Cloutier, overtime, far post. Absolutely. I can’t believe it’s been that long.”
No mention of Coco’s pass though.
The last time the Caps were in Vancouver — on Oct. 29, 2011 — they got beaten 7-4 by the Canucks.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4