Oct 28, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
So yeah…it’s been a while. Over a decade actually.
Here’s a game recap we managed to dig up from all the way back on Feb. 14, 2001:
Adam Oates scored his second goal of the game with 41 seconds left in overtime as the Washington Capitals extended their unbeaten streak to eight games with a 4-3 victory over the Vancouver Canucks.
The Capitals blew a two-goal lead in the third period, but Oates helped them remain unbeaten on a six-game road trip.
Defenseman Sylvain Cote spotted Oates behind his defender and hit him with a perfect pass at the Canucks’ blue line. Oates moved into the right faceoff circle and fired a slap shot that beat goaltender Dan Cloutier to the stick side.
“It was a great pass by Coco (Cote). It just went over the d-man’s stick,” Oates said. “It gave me lots of time and I made a great shot.”
Oates still remembers that winner.
“You never forget a goal,” Oates said today after the morning skate at Rogers Arena, per the Washington Post. “On Cloutier, overtime, far post. Absolutely. I can’t believe it’s been that long.”
No mention of Coco’s pass though.
The last time the Caps were in Vancouver — on Oct. 29, 2011 — they got beaten 7-4 by the Canucks.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)