Oct 28, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
So yeah…it’s been a while. Over a decade actually.
Here’s a game recap we managed to dig up from all the way back on Feb. 14, 2001:
Adam Oates scored his second goal of the game with 41 seconds left in overtime as the Washington Capitals extended their unbeaten streak to eight games with a 4-3 victory over the Vancouver Canucks.
The Capitals blew a two-goal lead in the third period, but Oates helped them remain unbeaten on a six-game road trip.
Defenseman Sylvain Cote spotted Oates behind his defender and hit him with a perfect pass at the Canucks’ blue line. Oates moved into the right faceoff circle and fired a slap shot that beat goaltender Dan Cloutier to the stick side.
“It was a great pass by Coco (Cote). It just went over the d-man’s stick,” Oates said. “It gave me lots of time and I made a great shot.”
Oates still remembers that winner.
“You never forget a goal,” Oates said today after the morning skate at Rogers Arena, per the Washington Post. “On Cloutier, overtime, far post. Absolutely. I can’t believe it’s been that long.”
No mention of Coco’s pass though.
The last time the Caps were in Vancouver — on Oct. 29, 2011 — they got beaten 7-4 by the Canucks.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)