Oct 28, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
So yeah…it’s been a while. Over a decade actually.
Here’s a game recap we managed to dig up from all the way back on Feb. 14, 2001:
Adam Oates scored his second goal of the game with 41 seconds left in overtime as the Washington Capitals extended their unbeaten streak to eight games with a 4-3 victory over the Vancouver Canucks.
The Capitals blew a two-goal lead in the third period, but Oates helped them remain unbeaten on a six-game road trip.
Defenseman Sylvain Cote spotted Oates behind his defender and hit him with a perfect pass at the Canucks’ blue line. Oates moved into the right faceoff circle and fired a slap shot that beat goaltender Dan Cloutier to the stick side.
“It was a great pass by Coco (Cote). It just went over the d-man’s stick,” Oates said. “It gave me lots of time and I made a great shot.”
Oates still remembers that winner.
“You never forget a goal,” Oates said today after the morning skate at Rogers Arena, per the Washington Post. “On Cloutier, overtime, far post. Absolutely. I can’t believe it’s been that long.”
No mention of Coco’s pass though.
The last time the Caps were in Vancouver — on Oct. 29, 2011 — they got beaten 7-4 by the Canucks.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)