Oct 28, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
John Tavares will no doubt miss his friend and linemate Matt Moulson, but the Islanders’ young captain was sounding pretty excited today at the prospect of playing with his team’s big trade acquisition, Thomas Vanek.
“A tremendous player with the puck,” Tavares said, per NHL.com. “Great patience and deception around the net. I think everyone saw how he started off, how hot he was last season and how much he can dominate a game. We’re excited to have him. He’s been in the league and proven himself. He has a great skill set.”
Vanek, 29, has 254 career regular-season goals. With the Islanders, he’ll start on a line with Tavares and winger Kyle Okposo, giving him the chance to score quite a few more.
“An opportunity like that doesn’t come around much,” said Vanek, “so I’m going try to make the most of it.”
The Islanders will be hoping Vanek, a pending unrestricted free agent, makes so much of the opportunity that he can be convinced to sign a contract extension and keep doing it for years to come.
The Isles host the Rangers Tuesday.
Image via @NYIslanders
Related: What’s Garth Snow thinking?
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 7
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)