Oct 28, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
David Steckel is taking a familiar route in his quest back to the NHL.
The veteran forward, who signed a PTO with Minnesota for training camp, was released from his contract with AHL Iowa and has reportedly inked a minor-league deal with Anaheim, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
The move back to Orange County would make sense on a number of fronts.
One, Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
Two, the Ducks are all kinds of banged up at the forward position.
Saku Koivu was knocked out of Sunday’s game against Columbus and has been sent back to California for evaluation, putting him on the shelf alongside Jakob Silfverbeg (broken hand), Mathieu Perreault (sprained wrist), Dustin Penner (concussion) and Matt Beleskey (on IR, upper body).
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of making the roster. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)