Oct 28, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
David Steckel is taking a familiar route in his quest back to the NHL.
The veteran forward, who signed a PTO with Minnesota for training camp, was released from his contract with AHL Iowa and has reportedly inked a minor-league deal with Anaheim, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
The move back to Orange County would make sense on a number of fronts.
One, Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
Two, the Ducks are all kinds of banged up at the forward position.
Saku Koivu was knocked out of Sunday’s game against Columbus and has been sent back to California for evaluation, putting him on the shelf alongside Jakob Silfverbeg (broken hand), Mathieu Perreault (sprained wrist), Dustin Penner (concussion) and Matt Beleskey (on IR, upper body).
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of making the roster. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)