Oct 28, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
David Steckel is taking a familiar route in his quest back to the NHL.
The veteran forward, who signed a PTO with Minnesota for training camp, was released from his contract with AHL Iowa and has reportedly inked a minor-league deal with Anaheim, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
The move back to Orange County would make sense on a number of fronts.
One, Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
Two, the Ducks are all kinds of banged up at the forward position.
Saku Koivu was knocked out of Sunday’s game against Columbus and has been sent back to California for evaluation, putting him on the shelf alongside Jakob Silfverbeg (broken hand), Mathieu Perreault (sprained wrist), Dustin Penner (concussion) and Matt Beleskey (on IR, upper body).
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of making the roster. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 12
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 36
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 17
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)