Oct 28, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
David Steckel is taking a familiar route in his quest back to the NHL.
The veteran forward, who signed a PTO with Minnesota for training camp, was released from his contract with AHL Iowa and has reportedly inked a minor-league deal with Anaheim, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
The move back to Orange County would make sense on a number of fronts.
One, Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
Two, the Ducks are all kinds of banged up at the forward position.
Saku Koivu was knocked out of Sunday’s game against Columbus and has been sent back to California for evaluation, putting him on the shelf alongside Jakob Silfverbeg (broken hand), Mathieu Perreault (sprained wrist), Dustin Penner (concussion) and Matt Beleskey (on IR, upper body).
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of making the roster. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)