Oct 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Stamkos, the first star, led the NHL in points (with seven) as the Lightning won three straight to move atop the Atlantic Division. He had four points in a win over Chicago, an assist in a win over Buffalo and two points — plus the shootout winner — in a 4-3 victory over Florida. Stamkos, 23, now sits second in the NHL in points (17), one back of Sidney Crosby.
Second star went to Kessel, who led the NHL in goals last week with five — impressive, considering he took 10 total shots, good for a gaudy shooting percentage of 50. Kessel, 26, scored his fourth career hat trick against Anaheim, then potted goals against Columbus and Pittsburgh, meaning he now has at least one point in nine of Toronto’s 12 games this year.
Third star went to Kesler, who scored four goals and tied for third in points last week, with six. He was an instrumental figure in Vancouver going 5-1-1 on its season-long road trip, scoring two goals — including the game-winner — in a 3-2 OT win over St. Louis to close out the trip.
In addition to these three, last week had to be a pretty good one for Team USA Olympic GM David Poile. Kessel and Kesler figure to be prominent contributors for the Americans in Sochi, and they’re the first two U.S. players to earn star of the week honors this season.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 0
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)