Oct 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Stamkos, the first star, led the NHL in points (with seven) as the Lightning won three straight to move atop the Atlantic Division. He had four points in a win over Chicago, an assist in a win over Buffalo and two points — plus the shootout winner — in a 4-3 victory over Florida. Stamkos, 23, now sits second in the NHL in points (17), one back of Sidney Crosby.
Second star went to Kessel, who led the NHL in goals last week with five — impressive, considering he took 10 total shots, good for a gaudy shooting percentage of 50. Kessel, 26, scored his fourth career hat trick against Anaheim, then potted goals against Columbus and Pittsburgh, meaning he now has at least one point in nine of Toronto’s 12 games this year.
Third star went to Kesler, who scored four goals and tied for third in points last week, with six. He was an instrumental figure in Vancouver going 5-1-1 on its season-long road trip, scoring two goals — including the game-winner — in a 3-2 OT win over St. Louis to close out the trip.
In addition to these three, last week had to be a pretty good one for Team USA Olympic GM David Poile. Kessel and Kesler figure to be prominent contributors for the Americans in Sochi, and they’re the first two U.S. players to earn star of the week honors this season.
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)