Oct 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Stamkos, the first star, led the NHL in points (with seven) as the Lightning won three straight to move atop the Atlantic Division. He had four points in a win over Chicago, an assist in a win over Buffalo and two points — plus the shootout winner — in a 4-3 victory over Florida. Stamkos, 23, now sits second in the NHL in points (17), one back of Sidney Crosby.
Second star went to Kessel, who led the NHL in goals last week with five — impressive, considering he took 10 total shots, good for a gaudy shooting percentage of 50. Kessel, 26, scored his fourth career hat trick against Anaheim, then potted goals against Columbus and Pittsburgh, meaning he now has at least one point in nine of Toronto’s 12 games this year.
Third star went to Kesler, who scored four goals and tied for third in points last week, with six. He was an instrumental figure in Vancouver going 5-1-1 on its season-long road trip, scoring two goals — including the game-winner — in a 3-2 OT win over St. Louis to close out the trip.
In addition to these three, last week had to be a pretty good one for Team USA Olympic GM David Poile. Kessel and Kesler figure to be prominent contributors for the Americans in Sochi, and they’re the first two U.S. players to earn star of the week honors this season.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)