Oct 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Stamkos, the first star, led the NHL in points (with seven) as the Lightning won three straight to move atop the Atlantic Division. He had four points in a win over Chicago, an assist in a win over Buffalo and two points — plus the shootout winner — in a 4-3 victory over Florida. Stamkos, 23, now sits second in the NHL in points (17), one back of Sidney Crosby.
Second star went to Kessel, who led the NHL in goals last week with five — impressive, considering he took 10 total shots, good for a gaudy shooting percentage of 50. Kessel, 26, scored his fourth career hat trick against Anaheim, then potted goals against Columbus and Pittsburgh, meaning he now has at least one point in nine of Toronto’s 12 games this year.
Third star went to Kesler, who scored four goals and tied for third in points last week, with six. He was an instrumental figure in Vancouver going 5-1-1 on its season-long road trip, scoring two goals — including the game-winner — in a 3-2 OT win over St. Louis to close out the trip.
In addition to these three, last week had to be a pretty good one for Team USA Olympic GM David Poile. Kessel and Kesler figure to be prominent contributors for the Americans in Sochi, and they’re the first two U.S. players to earn star of the week honors this season.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)