Oct 28, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
The leg injury suffered by Rob Scuderi this weekend is serious enough to send him packing.
On Monday, the Penguins announced Scuderi had been sent home from their mini two-game road trip to have the injury evaluated further. Scuderi, 34, was hurt during the first period of a 4-1 loss on Saturday in Toronto after getting clipped by Leafs forward David Clarkson, leaving the contest and failing to return.
Scuderi finished with just nine shifts for 5:57 TOI, and won’t be available for tonight’s contest in Carolina. Roberto Bortuzzo, a healthy scratch vs. the Maple Leafs, is likely to draw in as a replacement.
Scuderi hasn’t been producing much offensively — just one point in 11 games — but is an important defensive presence for the club. He sits third among Pittsburgh defensemen in shorthanded ice time and is tied for third in blocked shots, with 19.
The timing of the injury is unfortunate, in the sense Pittsburgh finally got its defense fully healthy on Friday night when Kris Letang made his season debut. It marked the first time the Pens had all their top-six d-men available.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the injury could keep Scuderi out of the lineup for a month.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT
Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
No call on that play.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
That’s big for Ottawa.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This was an eventful game.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Could supplemental discipline be on the way?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 PM EDT
Florida had the lead in the third period.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Could Vancouver’s veteran defenseman be looking at a suspension?
Mar 31, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Scored 32 goals in 37 games this season.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
Mar 31, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Joins Bossy, Gretzky, Dionne, Lafleur and Lemieux.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
3rd-round pick if it happens after the season, 2nd-rounder if it happens in-season.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
University of Minnesota blueliner inching closer to free agency.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
So the Hart will not, as some have suggested, become the Gretzky.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”
Mar 31, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
Not just a team that scores a lot of goals.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Could really use a win tonight versus the Rangers.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
“I can speak from experience that home ice matters.”
Mar 31, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 31, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Florida’s season is essentially on the line.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22