Oct 28, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
The leg injury suffered by Rob Scuderi this weekend is serious enough to send him packing.
On Monday, the Penguins announced Scuderi had been sent home from their mini two-game road trip to have the injury evaluated further. Scuderi, 34, was hurt during the first period of a 4-1 loss on Saturday in Toronto after getting clipped by Leafs forward David Clarkson, leaving the contest and failing to return.
Scuderi finished with just nine shifts for 5:57 TOI, and won’t be available for tonight’s contest in Carolina. Roberto Bortuzzo, a healthy scratch vs. the Maple Leafs, is likely to draw in as a replacement.
Scuderi hasn’t been producing much offensively — just one point in 11 games — but is an important defensive presence for the club. He sits third among Pittsburgh defensemen in shorthanded ice time and is tied for third in blocked shots, with 19.
The timing of the injury is unfortunate, in the sense Pittsburgh finally got its defense fully healthy on Friday night when Kris Letang made his season debut. It marked the first time the Pens had all their top-six d-men available.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the injury could keep Scuderi out of the lineup for a month.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)