Oct 28, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
Murray, 33, has missed all 11 games this season due to an upper-body injury suffered in the preseason. The veteran Swede, who signed with the Habs as a depth defenseman in August, will be counted upon more than first thought with Alexei Emelin (knee) and Davis Drewiske (shoulder) out of commission.
Leblanc, 22, will make his debut after a curious exhibition campaign.
The club’s first-round pick (18th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, he was something of a surprise cut early in training camp, a decision that drew the ire of his girlfriend, Canadian tennis player Aleksandra Wozniak.
Wozniak took to Twitter to blast the Canadiens, calling it “the worst excuse ever,” adding “this is wrong!”
Shortly thereafter, Montreal head coach Michel Therrien defended the move to send Leblanc down.
“He came into camp with a good attitude and he was in better shape, but we know Louis Leblanc and we wanted to get to know some of the other players better,” Therrien said, per the Montreal Gazette.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)