Pens announce Scuderi (broken ankle) needs surgery, out indefinitely

Oct 28, 2013, 10:32 PM EST

robscuderigetty Getty Images

The Pittsburgh Penguins announced that defenseman Rob Scuderi suffered a broken ankle from a David Clarkson hit on Saturday and will need surgery, leaving him out indefinitely.

That’s tough news as the Penguins just got Scuderi’s defensive partner Kris Letang back in the lineup on Friday. The Penguins were able to win their first game without “The Piece” on Monday, topping the Carolina Hurricanes 3-1.

If nothing else, Pittsburgh’s used to shaking off significant injuries. Scuderi, 34, has generally been sturdy in his career, as he’s played every game the previous three seasons (all with the Los Angeles Kings).

It wasn’t the only bit of injury news from the Penguins today, as they also announced that Chuck Kobasew (lower-body injury) will be re-evaluated soon.

1. pitpenguinsrulez - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Well atleast it’s early in the season still so he should be back well before the playoffs…although with looking on twitter I don’t understand what’s so significant on the 40 game mark with Maatta.

• killerpgh - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM

The 40 game mark for Maata means he will acquire a nhl year this season and than earns the right to become an UFA a year earlier. It really means nothing except for a few years done the road when he turns 25.

2. killerpgh - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Not good news at all. The only possible silver lining might be that I have heard people say it’s better to break an ankle as apposed to spraining it sometimes since once a broken bone heals it’s usually 100% and doesn’t liger like some ankle injuries can. I’m no doctor and that might be completely incorrect.

• jpelle82 - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

i broke my ankle in july….i didnt need surgery but i wish they couldve somehow surgically fixed it because its almost 4 months later and its still killing me. its nagging because i can walk just fine but if i jump or cut quickly i have buckling pain and no strength to do it, that and my achilles feels tight all the time. i couldnt skate even if i wanted to, then again i dont have the penguins trainers, doctors, or upmc doing my rehab either. best of luck to him, hope he makes it back by april.

3. orangandblack - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM

That can be true, but it’s a whole different ball game when you’re talking about a break that requires surgery. Best you can hope for is a return a few weeks prior to playoffs, so he can be top notch when they start.

• orangandblack - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

This was supposed to be a reply to killpgh’s comment

4. shamu1the1whale - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM

When I read this story, my first reaction was, “————————!” (insert expletive)

• thesportsjudge - Oct 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM

“Shucks?”

• shamu1the1whale - Oct 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

haha :) yes, that’s sort of close, aka the clean version!

5. c9castine - Oct 29, 2013 at 2:24 AM

How has nobody commented on clarkson blatantly kicking scuderi

• hockey412 - Oct 29, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I wanted to see him kick scuderi when I watched it, because I don’t like Clarkson and Scuds is one of my favorite players, but honestly, I didn’t see it. I saw a clean hit and an unfortunate injury.

• c9castine - Oct 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I’m not a conspiracy theorist. He kicked him it’s obvious. Watch the play from behind and you see it plain as day. Whatever though hell get his.

• jpelle82 - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM

i commented on it when it happened, i didnt like the sweeping motion at the end of the hit and the fact that the whistle had just blown for the fight at the other end. i’ve cooled off since then, not sure if there was intent now, the fact its clarkson just made me pretty skeptical at the time

6. benrob99 - Oct 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I was going to comment about Clarkson, but I’m waiting for the forensics report first.

7. hockey412 - Oct 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM

With Scuds out they’re really going to need Tanger to quit joining the rush on every damn play and get his butt back in a defensive position on plays where he does join the rush. He’s been downright lazy about getting back already this year. Minus 3 in 3 games back.

The good news is Borts is playing great, and deserves more time than he’s getting. Also good news (and under the radar) that Niskanen is quietly having a great season. Plus 10 and 8 points in 12 games, really? Nice. I wonder if we’ll see anyone else from WBS get a chance also – Dumoulin?

8. c1md6 - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Well it appears to be trouble in paradise….

• hockey412 - Oct 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Contraire mon frère!

The defense is now back to where it was last year, actually…and they made it to the ECF last year. Scuderi will be essential in the playoffs, and he has been great so far this year. It’s a loss that will be felt. Hopefully he’ll heal quick. But no trouble.

9. steelers88 - Oct 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Man that’s a tough break.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches