Oct 28, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
McKenzie said that, while the NHL did review the hit — Dubinsky was given a five-minute major and game misconduct, Koivu left and didn’t return — the league ruled against supplementary discipline, explaining the hit was “body on body” with incidental head contact.
Here’s the video:
Bruce Boudreau told reporters that Koivu seemed “OK” after the game, but also noted the veteran Finn was temporarily knocked out.
Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler was irate with the collision, saying the Dubinsky hit was the type “we need to try and stop and prevent as much as we can.”
Dubinsky, 27, argued in his own defense.
“I thought my shoulder and elbow were tucked,” Dubinsky told the Columbus Dispatch. “I went out there to make a hit not hurt somebody.
“I’m not a dirty player.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)