Oct 28, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
McKenzie said that, while the NHL did review the hit — Dubinsky was given a five-minute major and game misconduct, Koivu left and didn’t return — the league ruled against supplementary discipline, explaining the hit was “body on body” with incidental head contact.
Here’s the video:
Bruce Boudreau told reporters that Koivu seemed “OK” after the game, but also noted the veteran Finn was temporarily knocked out.
Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler was irate with the collision, saying the Dubinsky hit was the type “we need to try and stop and prevent as much as we can.”
Dubinsky, 27, argued in his own defense.
“I thought my shoulder and elbow were tucked,” Dubinsky told the Columbus Dispatch. “I went out there to make a hit not hurt somebody.
“I’m not a dirty player.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)