Oct 28, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
McKenzie said that, while the NHL did review the hit — Dubinsky was given a five-minute major and game misconduct, Koivu left and didn’t return — the league ruled against supplementary discipline, explaining the hit was “body on body” with incidental head contact.
Here’s the video:
Bruce Boudreau told reporters that Koivu seemed “OK” after the game, but also noted the veteran Finn was temporarily knocked out.
Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler was irate with the collision, saying the Dubinsky hit was the type “we need to try and stop and prevent as much as we can.”
Dubinsky, 27, argued in his own defense.
“I thought my shoulder and elbow were tucked,” Dubinsky told the Columbus Dispatch. “I went out there to make a hit not hurt somebody.
“I’m not a dirty player.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)