Oct 28, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
McKenzie said that, while the NHL did review the hit — Dubinsky was given a five-minute major and game misconduct, Koivu left and didn’t return — the league ruled against supplementary discipline, explaining the hit was “body on body” with incidental head contact.
Here’s the video:
Bruce Boudreau told reporters that Koivu seemed “OK” after the game, but also noted the veteran Finn was temporarily knocked out.
Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler was irate with the collision, saying the Dubinsky hit was the type “we need to try and stop and prevent as much as we can.”
Dubinsky, 27, argued in his own defense.
“I thought my shoulder and elbow were tucked,” Dubinsky told the Columbus Dispatch. “I went out there to make a hit not hurt somebody.
“I’m not a dirty player.”
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8