Oct 28, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Brian Leetch explains that Hanzal, 26, traveled quite a distance “with considerable speed” before “launching” into Petry’s head, driving it into the glass. Another factor was that Leetch believes Hanzal’s skate left the ice prior to making “significant contact” with Petry’s head.
Petry, 25, appeared to not be injured, which factored into the length of the suspension. On the other hand, Hanzal’s history as a repeat offender – he sat one game in the 2012 playoffs – hurt the Coyotes center’s cause.
Hanzal’s known for his tough, two-way play, yet he’s been on fire offensively lately. He has an impressive 11 points in 12 games with 33 shots on goal and one game-winning tally. Hanzal’s career high for points is just 35 back in 2007-08, so that mark is in his sights … even with this suspension.
Hanzal loses out on a hearty $75,609.76 in salary.
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 1
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 7
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 46
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)