Oct 28, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Brian Leetch explains that Hanzal, 26, traveled quite a distance “with considerable speed” before “launching” into Petry’s head, driving it into the glass. Another factor was that Leetch believes Hanzal’s skate left the ice prior to making “significant contact” with Petry’s head.
Petry, 25, appeared to not be injured, which factored into the length of the suspension. On the other hand, Hanzal’s history as a repeat offender – he sat one game in the 2012 playoffs – hurt the Coyotes center’s cause.
Hanzal’s known for his tough, two-way play, yet he’s been on fire offensively lately. He has an impressive 11 points in 12 games with 33 shots on goal and one game-winning tally. Hanzal’s career high for points is just 35 back in 2007-08, so that mark is in his sights … even with this suspension.
Hanzal loses out on a hearty $75,609.76 in salary.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)