Oct 28, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Tonight is “welcome back” night at MSG.
The Rangers will play take on Montreal in their first home game of the season — yes, 28 days into the year — and they’ll be doing it with a familiar face in goal, as Henrik Lundqvist will start for the first time in nearly 10 days.
Lundqvist, 31, has missed the last two games with a lower-body ailment, forcing rookie Cam Talbot to tend goal. Talbot fared well, posting a 1-1-0 record with a 1.94 GAA and .934 save percentage, but New York will be keen to get its franchise netminder back into the fold, especially with all its other high-priced talent currently out with injuries.
As for finally getting home ice after a nine-game roadie to start the year — well, the Rangers can look forward to plenty more of it over the following weeks.
Tonight marks a stretch in which New York will play nine of 12 at home, with its load road contests being quick jaunts to Long Island, Columbus and Montreal. The Rangers will also get a chance to gun for wins over teams with losing records: Buffalo (Oct. 31), Columbus (Nov. 7), Florida (Nov. 10) and New Jersey (Nov. 12).
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)