Oct 28, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Tonight is “welcome back” night at MSG.
The Rangers will play take on Montreal in their first home game of the season — yes, 28 days into the year — and they’ll be doing it with a familiar face in goal, as Henrik Lundqvist will start for the first time in nearly 10 days.
Lundqvist, 31, has missed the last two games with a lower-body ailment, forcing rookie Cam Talbot to tend goal. Talbot fared well, posting a 1-1-0 record with a 1.94 GAA and .934 save percentage, but New York will be keen to get its franchise netminder back into the fold, especially with all its other high-priced talent currently out with injuries.
As for finally getting home ice after a nine-game roadie to start the year — well, the Rangers can look forward to plenty more of it over the following weeks.
Tonight marks a stretch in which New York will play nine of 12 at home, with its load road contests being quick jaunts to Long Island, Columbus and Montreal. The Rangers will also get a chance to gun for wins over teams with losing records: Buffalo (Oct. 31), Columbus (Nov. 7), Florida (Nov. 10) and New Jersey (Nov. 12).
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 18
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)