Oct 28, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
The Maple Leafs have recalled defenseman John-Michael Liles from the AHL, according to multiple reports.
The move comes ahead of Toronto’s three-game trip to Western Canada, on which the team apparently wants to bring seven defensemen.
Liles has one goal and four assists in eight games with the Marlies. At this point, it’s not clear if he’ll get into a game on the trip, which starts Tuesday in Edmonton and continues Wednesday in Calgary before ending Saturday in Vancouver.
The Leafs are reportedly willing to trade the 32-year-old offensive blue-liner. And according to TSN’s Darren Dreger, they’re willing to “retain a significant portion of Liles’s salary for the remainder of his contract.”
Signed through 2015-16, Liles’ cap hit is $3.875 million, of which only $925,000 is saved by having him play in the minors. Under the CBA, teams can retain up to 50 percent of a player’s salary and cap hit in a trade.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)