Oct 28, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Paul Postma spoke to the media on Monday about the blood clot in his calf that will sideline him for a few months.
“It really startled me. I was in shock,” Postma explained. “I still can’t really believe it happened. You don’t hear about [blood clots] too often.
“I guess it’s just a different situation, and I’ll take it day-by-day.”
The 24-year-old blueliner, who’s appeared in eight games this season, said he felt something wrong in his leg following Saturday’s 2-1 win over Dallas, a game in which he played 15:10. The issue got worse after the team flew into Colorado, and Postma didn’t play in Sunday’s loss to the Avalanche.
On Monday, he was appraised of the diagnosis. Jets head coach Claude Noel called the development “unfortunate,” adding that Postma would be out “longer than week-to-week.”
According to TSN Winnipeg, Postma has been told he’ll be out “a few months” with the blood clot. He won’t be able to absorb body contact and will have limited physical activity due to blood thinners.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)