Oct 28, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets defenseman Paul Postma spoke to the media on Monday about the blood clot in his calf that will sideline him for a few months.
“It really startled me. I was in shock,” Postma explained. “I still can’t really believe it happened. You don’t hear about [blood clots] too often.
“I guess it’s just a different situation, and I’ll take it day-by-day.”
The 24-year-old blueliner, who’s appeared in eight games this season, said he felt something wrong in his leg following Saturday’s 2-1 win over Dallas, a game in which he played 15:10. The issue got worse after the team flew into Colorado, and Postma didn’t play in Sunday’s loss to the Avalanche.
On Monday, he was appraised of the diagnosis. Jets head coach Claude Noel called the development “unfortunate,” adding that Postma would be out “longer than week-to-week.”
According to TSN Winnipeg, Postma has been told he’ll be out “a few months” with the blood clot. He won’t be able to absorb body contact and will have limited physical activity due to blood thinners.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 59
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 60
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)