Oct 28, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
The revolving door that is Chicago’s No. 2 center spot has opened for Brandon Pirri.
Pirri, one of the club’s brightest offensive prospects, will get a chance to play in a top-six role as the club announced the incumbent No. 2, Michal Handzus, would miss at least the next two games with an upper-body injury.
“We’re still looking for who’s going to be that [second-line center],” head coach Joel Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s an opportunity for Brandon to hopefully grab that. We certainly feel he can play there. We’re comfortable giving him that chance here and I think he’ll do fine.”
Pirri, 22, led AHL Rockford in scoring last season (75 points in 76 games) and has appeared in six games for the ‘Hawks this year, scoring two goals and three points in a largely bottom-six role.
He was also playing on the wing, which could make for an interesting adjustment to the middle. Thankfully for Pirri, he’ll be playing on a line with Brandon Saad and Patrick Kane, which should make the switch plenty easier.
“Those guys have a lot of skill,” Pirri said. “I think I can bring a little skill and energy.”
Chicago plays tonight in Minnesota before hopping a plane for tomorrow night’s contest in Ottawa. The ‘Hawks are off ’til Saturday after that, so it’s possible Handzus could return for this weekend’s games (Saturday in Winnipeg, Sunday at home vs. Calgary).
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
He played just eight shifts in Sunday’s win.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 19
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)