Oct 28, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
The revolving door that is Chicago’s No. 2 center spot has opened for Brandon Pirri.
Pirri, one of the club’s brightest offensive prospects, will get a chance to play in a top-six role as the club announced the incumbent No. 2, Michal Handzus, would miss at least the next two games with an upper-body injury.
“We’re still looking for who’s going to be that [second-line center],” head coach Joel Quenneville told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s an opportunity for Brandon to hopefully grab that. We certainly feel he can play there. We’re comfortable giving him that chance here and I think he’ll do fine.”
Pirri, 22, led AHL Rockford in scoring last season (75 points in 76 games) and has appeared in six games for the ‘Hawks this year, scoring two goals and three points in a largely bottom-six role.
He was also playing on the wing, which could make for an interesting adjustment to the middle. Thankfully for Pirri, he’ll be playing on a line with Brandon Saad and Patrick Kane, which should make the switch plenty easier.
“Those guys have a lot of skill,” Pirri said. “I think I can bring a little skill and energy.”
Chicago plays tonight in Minnesota before hopping a plane for tomorrow night’s contest in Ottawa. The ‘Hawks are off ’til Saturday after that, so it’s possible Handzus could return for this weekend’s games (Saturday in Winnipeg, Sunday at home vs. Calgary).
Jan 25, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
29 goals in all.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
11 in total, eclipsing the old mark by one.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM EST
Chicago will resume play on Wednesday against Los Angeles.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Johansen scored again before the first period ended.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EST
Vancouver forward gets Team Foligno on the board early.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EST
A grab bag of fun as the game rapidly approaches.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the 2015 NHL All-Star Game from Nationwide Arena in Columbus, on NBCSN.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
Team Foligno and Team Toews square off.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
He’ll probably be OK.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
The bubble seems limited, at least.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
He has more control over his chances in the All-Star Game itself.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:54 AM EST
Maybe we should ease up on the guy.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
A rare opportunity sidetracked by his groin injury.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 PM EST
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Team Foligno running away with this.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:21 PM EST
That’s an all-time screencap right there.
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 0
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 3
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)