Oct 28, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are frustrated.
How frustrated are they?
The Ottawa Senators are so frustrated captain Jason Spezza used the word six times following Monday’s players-only, closed-door meeting.
“You can tell guys left the rink (Sunday) night frustrated, myself included,” Spezza said, as per the Globe and Mail. “When you get frustrated it’s useless. Being frustrated and not talking about it can be a useless emotion so when you get frustrated as a group, and I sensed I was frustrated and the guys were frustrated, that it’s important to talk about it so things don’t just fester.”
So yeah. Ottawa’s frustrated.
Most of this frustration stems from a recent stretch that’s seen the club lose three of its last four at home. The Sens were hoping to make up ground at the Canadian Tire Center after playing their first six games of the year on the road (where they went 2-2-2), but that hasn’t gone exactly to plan.
The offense has dried up — Ottawa’s scored just four goals in its last three at home — leading to the aforementioned frustration and today’s 35-minute meeting, which Spezza called.
“The worse thing you can do is to just keep letting things go the same way without discussing things and keep coming to the rink and continuing not playing how we want to play,” said Spezza. “It was a good, open conversation.
“We talked about our starts not being where they want to be and maybe how we approach games maybe has to change.”
Ottawa is in Chicago on Tuesday before returning home to face the Islanders on Friday.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Stanley Cup with Chicago.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)