Oct 28, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
Salvador, 37, has been out of the Devils lineup since Oct. 23 while on bereavement leave (death in the family). He was recently returned to the active roster but, on Monday, wasn’t at practice.
According to Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com, it’s possible Salvador’s injury was more serious than first thought. He originally got hurt blocking a shot during a 4-1 loss to Columbus and underwent X-rays, which — according to GM Lou Lamoriello — came back negative.
The Devils can’t afford to lose their captain for any significant length of time. The club is already without its big summer signing, Ryane Clowe (head), and could be without Cory Schneider for the next while, as the 27-year-old missed this weekend’s game against Boston and didn’t practice on Monday while dealing with a lower-body injury.
Should be noted that New Jersey placed Salvador on IR retroactive to last Tuesday, meaning he could be activated by tomorrow.
UPDATE 1:56 p.m. ET
The Devils have also put Schneider on IR, retroactive to last Thursday. Since he’s eligible to be activated on Friday, Schneider could end up missing just one game (Tuesday vs. Tampa Bay).
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)