Oct 28, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
Salvador, 37, has been out of the Devils lineup since Oct. 23 while on bereavement leave (death in the family). He was recently returned to the active roster but, on Monday, wasn’t at practice.
According to Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com, it’s possible Salvador’s injury was more serious than first thought. He originally got hurt blocking a shot during a 4-1 loss to Columbus and underwent X-rays, which — according to GM Lou Lamoriello — came back negative.
The Devils can’t afford to lose their captain for any significant length of time. The club is already without its big summer signing, Ryane Clowe (head), and could be without Cory Schneider for the next while, as the 27-year-old missed this weekend’s game against Boston and didn’t practice on Monday while dealing with a lower-body injury.
Should be noted that New Jersey placed Salvador on IR retroactive to last Tuesday, meaning he could be activated by tomorrow.
UPDATE 1:56 p.m. ET
The Devils have also put Schneider on IR, retroactive to last Thursday. Since he’s eligible to be activated on Friday, Schneider could end up missing just one game (Tuesday vs. Tampa Bay).
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)