Oct 28, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
Salvador, 37, has been out of the Devils lineup since Oct. 23 while on bereavement leave (death in the family). He was recently returned to the active roster but, on Monday, wasn’t at practice.
According to Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com, it’s possible Salvador’s injury was more serious than first thought. He originally got hurt blocking a shot during a 4-1 loss to Columbus and underwent X-rays, which — according to GM Lou Lamoriello — came back negative.
The Devils can’t afford to lose their captain for any significant length of time. The club is already without its big summer signing, Ryane Clowe (head), and could be without Cory Schneider for the next while, as the 27-year-old missed this weekend’s game against Boston and didn’t practice on Monday while dealing with a lower-body injury.
Should be noted that New Jersey placed Salvador on IR retroactive to last Tuesday, meaning he could be activated by tomorrow.
UPDATE 1:56 p.m. ET
The Devils have also put Schneider on IR, retroactive to last Thursday. Since he’s eligible to be activated on Friday, Schneider could end up missing just one game (Tuesday vs. Tampa Bay).
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)