Oct 28, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
Salvador, 37, has been out of the Devils lineup since Oct. 23 while on bereavement leave (death in the family). He was recently returned to the active roster but, on Monday, wasn’t at practice.
According to Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com, it’s possible Salvador’s injury was more serious than first thought. He originally got hurt blocking a shot during a 4-1 loss to Columbus and underwent X-rays, which — according to GM Lou Lamoriello — came back negative.
The Devils can’t afford to lose their captain for any significant length of time. The club is already without its big summer signing, Ryane Clowe (head), and could be without Cory Schneider for the next while, as the 27-year-old missed this weekend’s game against Boston and didn’t practice on Monday while dealing with a lower-body injury.
Should be noted that New Jersey placed Salvador on IR retroactive to last Tuesday, meaning he could be activated by tomorrow.
UPDATE 1:56 p.m. ET
The Devils have also put Schneider on IR, retroactive to last Thursday. Since he’s eligible to be activated on Friday, Schneider could end up missing just one game (Tuesday vs. Tampa Bay).
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)