Oct 28, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
Salvador, 37, has been out of the Devils lineup since Oct. 23 while on bereavement leave (death in the family). He was recently returned to the active roster but, on Monday, wasn’t at practice.
According to Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com, it’s possible Salvador’s injury was more serious than first thought. He originally got hurt blocking a shot during a 4-1 loss to Columbus and underwent X-rays, which — according to GM Lou Lamoriello — came back negative.
The Devils can’t afford to lose their captain for any significant length of time. The club is already without its big summer signing, Ryane Clowe (head), and could be without Cory Schneider for the next while, as the 27-year-old missed this weekend’s game against Boston and didn’t practice on Monday while dealing with a lower-body injury.
Should be noted that New Jersey placed Salvador on IR retroactive to last Tuesday, meaning he could be activated by tomorrow.
UPDATE 1:56 p.m. ET
The Devils have also put Schneider on IR, retroactive to last Thursday. Since he’s eligible to be activated on Friday, Schneider could end up missing just one game (Tuesday vs. Tampa Bay).
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 18
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 13
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31