Oct 28, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby collected two assists on Monday to push his 2013-14 points total to 20 in 12 games, helping the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Carolina Hurricanes 3-1.
The 26-year-old builds his NHL league leading total, which is being threatened to some extent by Steven Stamkos (17 points in 11 contests) as of late.
Both of Crosby’s assists were primary ones, as he set up a Chris Kunitz tally and the first goal of Jayson Megna’s career:
If Crosby maintains his current scoring pace, he’ll blow away his career-high of 120 points with 136. Of course, that assumes he’d be healthy, which is far from a guarantee considering his recent history. The Oct. 21 game against Colorado is the only contest the Penguins’ star has failed to score a point in.
This win leaves the Penguins at 16 points (8-4-0) on the season, while Carolina falls to 4-5-3 (11 points). The Hurricanes seemingly dodged a bullet as Jordan Staal returned to the bench after what looked like a scary fall during today’s game.
(If it turns out Staal is hurt, PHT will pass word along.)
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)