Oct 27, 2013, 6:16 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers announced that Devan Dubnyk is sitting out Sunday’s game with what’s believed to be a minor foot injury. Yet, instead of going with veteran backup Jason LaBarbera, the team is instead turning to Richard Bachman.
“From our reports, he’s been playing well down (in OKC),” Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins said. “It’s time for him to have an opportunity.”
It’s interesting that former Dallas Stars prospect/backup goalie Bachman is getting the start instead of LaBarbera, who once played for the Los Angeles Kings (tonight’s opponent). Eakins had a pretty flat assessment of LaBarbera, as the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson reports.
“He’s been OK,” Eakins said.
(Some might translate OK to “substandard.”)
Bachman, 26, is pretty experienced against L.A., having logged 32 games with the Kings’ former divison rival in Dallas. If Bachman can play well tonight, one cannot help but wonder if he’ll elbow in on a few more backup reps for Edmonton.
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 1
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 44
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (43)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)