Oct 27, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers announced that Devan Dubnyk is sitting out Sunday’s game with what’s believed to be a minor foot injury. Yet, instead of going with veteran backup Jason LaBarbera, the team is instead turning to Richard Bachman.
“From our reports, he’s been playing well down (in OKC),” Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins said. “It’s time for him to have an opportunity.”
It’s interesting that former Dallas Stars prospect/backup goalie Bachman is getting the start instead of LaBarbera, who once played for the Los Angeles Kings (tonight’s opponent). Eakins had a pretty flat assessment of LaBarbera, as the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson reports.
“He’s been OK,” Eakins said.
(Some might translate OK to “substandard.”)
Bachman, 26, is pretty experienced against L.A., having logged 32 games with the Kings’ former divison rival in Dallas. If Bachman can play well tonight, one cannot help but wonder if he’ll elbow in on a few more backup reps for Edmonton.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)