Oct 27, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers announced that Devan Dubnyk is sitting out Sunday’s game with what’s believed to be a minor foot injury. Yet, instead of going with veteran backup Jason LaBarbera, the team is instead turning to Richard Bachman.
“From our reports, he’s been playing well down (in OKC),” Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins said. “It’s time for him to have an opportunity.”
It’s interesting that former Dallas Stars prospect/backup goalie Bachman is getting the start instead of LaBarbera, who once played for the Los Angeles Kings (tonight’s opponent). Eakins had a pretty flat assessment of LaBarbera, as the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson reports.
“He’s been OK,” Eakins said.
(Some might translate OK to “substandard.”)
Bachman, 26, is pretty experienced against L.A., having logged 32 games with the Kings’ former divison rival in Dallas. If Bachman can play well tonight, one cannot help but wonder if he’ll elbow in on a few more backup reps for Edmonton.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)