Oct 27, 2013, 6:16 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers announced that Devan Dubnyk is sitting out Sunday’s game with what’s believed to be a minor foot injury. Yet, instead of going with veteran backup Jason LaBarbera, the team is instead turning to Richard Bachman.
“From our reports, he’s been playing well down (in OKC),” Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins said. “It’s time for him to have an opportunity.”
It’s interesting that former Dallas Stars prospect/backup goalie Bachman is getting the start instead of LaBarbera, who once played for the Los Angeles Kings (tonight’s opponent). Eakins had a pretty flat assessment of LaBarbera, as the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson reports.
“He’s been OK,” Eakins said.
(Some might translate OK to “substandard.”)
Bachman, 26, is pretty experienced against L.A., having logged 32 games with the Kings’ former divison rival in Dallas. If Bachman can play well tonight, one cannot help but wonder if he’ll elbow in on a few more backup reps for Edmonton.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)