Oct 27, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks center Saku Koivu needed help off of the ice on Sunday after a high hit by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky. Koivu won’t return, according to various reporters including the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
Dubinsky was ejected from the game and received a major penalty for interference. SBNation uploaded video of the hit:
However the league feels about that check, the bottom line is that a significant injury for Koivu could make a tough situation worse for Anaheim.
Elliott points out that Corey Perry might have hurt his ankle during the second period of Sunday’s contest. Dustin Penner‘s making progress – he skated with the team in Columbus – but still isn’t ready to play.
So, the Ducks could very well be down a line’s worth of quality forwards if Koivu and Perry miss some time. Tough breaks for a team some believe is still riding some good luck.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 24
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 39
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 23
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51