Oct 27, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
Anaheim Ducks center Saku Koivu needed help off of the ice on Sunday after a high hit by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky. Koivu won’t return, according to various reporters including the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
Dubinsky was ejected from the game and received a major penalty for interference. SBNation uploaded video of the hit:
However the league feels about that check, the bottom line is that a significant injury for Koivu could make a tough situation worse for Anaheim.
Elliott points out that Corey Perry might have hurt his ankle during the second period of Sunday’s contest. Dustin Penner‘s making progress – he skated with the team in Columbus – but still isn’t ready to play.
So, the Ducks could very well be down a line’s worth of quality forwards if Koivu and Perry miss some time. Tough breaks for a team some believe is still riding some good luck.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 45
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)