Oct 27, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks center Saku Koivu needed help off of the ice on Sunday after a high hit by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky. Koivu won’t return, according to various reporters including the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
Dubinsky was ejected from the game and received a major penalty for interference. SBNation uploaded video of the hit:
However the league feels about that check, the bottom line is that a significant injury for Koivu could make a tough situation worse for Anaheim.
Elliott points out that Corey Perry might have hurt his ankle during the second period of Sunday’s contest. Dustin Penner‘s making progress – he skated with the team in Columbus – but still isn’t ready to play.
So, the Ducks could very well be down a line’s worth of quality forwards if Koivu and Perry miss some time. Tough breaks for a team some believe is still riding some good luck.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12