Oct 27, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks center Saku Koivu needed help off of the ice on Sunday after a high hit by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky. Koivu won’t return, according to various reporters including the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
Dubinsky was ejected from the game and received a major penalty for interference. SBNation uploaded video of the hit:
However the league feels about that check, the bottom line is that a significant injury for Koivu could make a tough situation worse for Anaheim.
Elliott points out that Corey Perry might have hurt his ankle during the second period of Sunday’s contest. Dustin Penner‘s making progress – he skated with the team in Columbus – but still isn’t ready to play.
So, the Ducks could very well be down a line’s worth of quality forwards if Koivu and Perry miss some time. Tough breaks for a team some believe is still riding some good luck.
- BREAKING: Kessel traded to the Penguins 24
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 4
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 12
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)