Oct 27, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks center Saku Koivu needed help off of the ice on Sunday after a high hit by Columbus Blue Jackets forward Brandon Dubinsky. Koivu won’t return, according to various reporters including the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
Dubinsky was ejected from the game and received a major penalty for interference. SBNation uploaded video of the hit:
However the league feels about that check, the bottom line is that a significant injury for Koivu could make a tough situation worse for Anaheim.
Elliott points out that Corey Perry might have hurt his ankle during the second period of Sunday’s contest. Dustin Penner‘s making progress – he skated with the team in Columbus – but still isn’t ready to play.
So, the Ducks could very well be down a line’s worth of quality forwards if Koivu and Perry miss some time. Tough breaks for a team some believe is still riding some good luck.
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 21
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 19
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 19
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 7
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 42
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)