Vanek’s agent says no extension with Isles just yet

Oct 27, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT

vanektgetty Getty Images

The Thomas VanekMatt Moulson trade is an eyebrow-raiser for plenty of reasons, but one important factor is that the New York Islanders gave up significant assets (two high-end picks) for a sniper on an expiring contract. Apparently that deal didn’t come with an already-agreed-upon contract extension, either.

That’s the word from Vanek’s agent Stephen Bartlett, who intimated to TSN’s Bob McKenzie that the 29-year-old might wait until the summer for a new deal (despite dropping an “excited to be an Islander” line).

“We’ll take it day by day and focus on the short term for now and see where we are at season’s end,” Bartlett said.

Translation: “We’re going to see if Vanek can score 50 or 60 goals skating with John Tavares, thus opening the door for an enormous auction.” Or, that’s at least how some might read it.

Now, there’s always the chance that the Islanders could roll out an offer Vanek cannot refuse. Or at least one that provides the kind of long-term security just about every player craves.

Still, Vanek’s in a great position here: playing a prime role for a better team alongside one of the best players in the NHL while gaining the opportunity to name his destination next summer. To think, just an hour ago he was one of the only bright spots on one of the bleakest rosters in the league …

1. 950003cups - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM

SONOFABIIITTCH!!!!!!!!!!!

2. pfhockey - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM

It’d be smart for them to do so. Imagine how deadly this line would be
    Vanek – Tavares – Okposo

Every guy can finish, their ceiling together could be 40 goals – 45 goals – 30 goals

• lordfletcher - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

unless they are playing 30 minutes a night, that would be tough to net that many goals for one line. Not saying it isn’t doable but I would subtract 15 goals from that total

either way, a great line but there is a lot to prove from this organization to still make the playoffs and then go past the first round. Much like my Wild.
      :) cheers

• lordfletcher - Oct 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM

the kicker is to see what happens with the isles in the next coming months. Does snow toss him $100 million? Do they lose and have to deal Vanek to another team and recoup a 1st round pick?

No matter, Buffalo did great here and Moulson will get traded at the deadline so this deal got Buffalo 3 draft picks at the worst, very nice!!!!

• pfhockey - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I was just saying their ceiling, Most likely though, I’d subtract 5 from each like you said but Vanek I feel is often underestimated. He is still an elite player and pairing with Tavares who made Moulson a 30 goal scorer I believe both can get 35-40 goals easy. Okposo I’m not as confident to say but this is the first year he’ll be playing alongside with Tavares. This could be a breakout year from Tavares.

3. lordfletcher - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Vanek hit the free market this summer and equally as not shocked to watch him take $100 million in NYI.

4. phillyphanatic77 - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I thought for sure when I saw the trade details that I’d see the word “conditional” next to the picks, bc without it it’s a big risk. If Vanek walks at the end of the year then Snow may seriously regret this. However, I suppose Moulsons FA status weighed in as well. Maybe Snow figures that if Vanek walks he can just resign Moulson this summer. We’ll see. It’s a risk but I’d certainly like to see how Vanek plays alongside Tavares. As a Flyers fan I’m a little worried about that.

5. 19to77 - Oct 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

For the Sabres, it’s a win because they got some picks out of Vanek before he left. For the Islanders, it’s a head-scratcher. Moulson’s produced as many points as Vanek in the last two seasons and has proven chemistry with Tavares. I’m sure many Isles fans are skeptical of Vanek being so much better than Moulson that it’s worth a 1st and a 2nd. And if the Isles do poorly, and Vanek doesn’t resign? Then how does it look?

6. bcisleman - Oct 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM

My guess is Snow makes him a fair offer before the deadline. If he passes, Snow moves him.

• jl9830 - Oct 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM

LOL. There’s literally zero chance Vanek is moved by the Islanders this season. They didn’t just give up Moulson, a first-rounder, and a second-rounder to move the guy without going through one playoff hunt with him.

• lordfletcher - Oct 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM

there is a chance that the Isles won’t be in the playoff picture come the deadline. I feel as if they will at least be in contention but there is a chance.

if Vanek tells the Islanders and or just doesn’t accept a monster contract by Snow, the writting is on the wall. They could move him if they are winning or not depending on what Vanek does.

either way, a steep price IMO and I feel Buffalo did great cuz Moulson will still get moved in a few months.

7. zetaone - Oct 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I have a feeling Snow is going to throw Vanek a career ending contract, some 8 year extension for an unreasonable amount of money. Vanek has already been phoning it in the past 2 seasons. Sure he gets points (I say accidentally – he is very lucky) but he is the laziest player on the ice at all times. You guys in NY will soon get very annoyed with his lack of effort and “cement legs” after the initial honeymoon ends. If he gets a big contract, be assured he will just coast until the 8 years is up.

• zetaone - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:31 AM

You people downvoting, just wait and see.. I’m a Sabres fan and have been watching Vanek with an eagle eye every time he’s on the ice since Regier matched his massively overpriced offer sheet from Edmonton years ago. He’s a slacker. Every time he’s been on the ice this year I audibly sigh because plays die with him. He shows no effort at all, never backchecks, or forechecks, cherry picks the blue line while in the defensive zone…

8. bradkaz96 - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Pretty sure he would sign a 15 year deal Garth…

9. newyorkislanderfancentral - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Not like the Islanders traded for Brad Richards

10. terrier92 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Vanek is not the type of player you want on your roster if you expect to win Cups.

Not gritty enough, has never played in any meaningful games……big mistake for Islanders to tie up cap space with this guy.

11. purpleguy - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM

What’s the deal with Snow and former Minnesota Gophers? Snow should be careful — Vanek lives in MN in the offseason, trains here, went to school here, and has a ton of friends on the Wild. Snow is gonna have to back up the Brinks truck to keep him in NY.

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches