Oct 27, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The Thomas Vanek – Matt Moulson trade is an eyebrow-raiser for plenty of reasons, but one important factor is that the New York Islanders gave up significant assets (two high-end picks) for a sniper on an expiring contract. Apparently that deal didn’t come with an already-agreed-upon contract extension, either.
That’s the word from Vanek’s agent Stephen Bartlett, who intimated to TSN’s Bob McKenzie that the 29-year-old might wait until the summer for a new deal (despite dropping an “excited to be an Islander” line).
“We’ll take it day by day and focus on the short term for now and see where we are at season’s end,” Bartlett said.
Translation: “We’re going to see if Vanek can score 50 or 60 goals skating with John Tavares, thus opening the door for an enormous auction.” Or, that’s at least how some might read it.
Now, there’s always the chance that the Islanders could roll out an offer Vanek cannot refuse. Or at least one that provides the kind of long-term security just about every player craves.
Still, Vanek’s in a great position here: playing a prime role for a better team alongside one of the best players in the NHL while gaining the opportunity to name his destination next summer. To think, just an hour ago he was one of the only bright spots on one of the bleakest rosters in the league …
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)