Oct 27, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
The Thomas Vanek – Matt Moulson trade is an eyebrow-raiser for plenty of reasons, but one important factor is that the New York Islanders gave up significant assets (two high-end picks) for a sniper on an expiring contract. Apparently that deal didn’t come with an already-agreed-upon contract extension, either.
That’s the word from Vanek’s agent Stephen Bartlett, who intimated to TSN’s Bob McKenzie that the 29-year-old might wait until the summer for a new deal (despite dropping an “excited to be an Islander” line).
“We’ll take it day by day and focus on the short term for now and see where we are at season’s end,” Bartlett said.
Translation: “We’re going to see if Vanek can score 50 or 60 goals skating with John Tavares, thus opening the door for an enormous auction.” Or, that’s at least how some might read it.
Now, there’s always the chance that the Islanders could roll out an offer Vanek cannot refuse. Or at least one that provides the kind of long-term security just about every player craves.
Still, Vanek’s in a great position here: playing a prime role for a better team alongside one of the best players in the NHL while gaining the opportunity to name his destination next summer. To think, just an hour ago he was one of the only bright spots on one of the bleakest rosters in the league …
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 45
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 17
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 56
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (56)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (40)