Oct 27, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The Thomas Vanek – Matt Moulson trade is an eyebrow-raiser for plenty of reasons, but one important factor is that the New York Islanders gave up significant assets (two high-end picks) for a sniper on an expiring contract. Apparently that deal didn’t come with an already-agreed-upon contract extension, either.
That’s the word from Vanek’s agent Stephen Bartlett, who intimated to TSN’s Bob McKenzie that the 29-year-old might wait until the summer for a new deal (despite dropping an “excited to be an Islander” line).
“We’ll take it day by day and focus on the short term for now and see where we are at season’s end,” Bartlett said.
Translation: “We’re going to see if Vanek can score 50 or 60 goals skating with John Tavares, thus opening the door for an enormous auction.” Or, that’s at least how some might read it.
Now, there’s always the chance that the Islanders could roll out an offer Vanek cannot refuse. Or at least one that provides the kind of long-term security just about every player craves.
Still, Vanek’s in a great position here: playing a prime role for a better team alongside one of the best players in the NHL while gaining the opportunity to name his destination next summer. To think, just an hour ago he was one of the only bright spots on one of the bleakest rosters in the league …
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)