Oct 27, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The Thomas Vanek – Matt Moulson trade is an eyebrow-raiser for plenty of reasons, but one important factor is that the New York Islanders gave up significant assets (two high-end picks) for a sniper on an expiring contract. Apparently that deal didn’t come with an already-agreed-upon contract extension, either.
That’s the word from Vanek’s agent Stephen Bartlett, who intimated to TSN’s Bob McKenzie that the 29-year-old might wait until the summer for a new deal (despite dropping an “excited to be an Islander” line).
“We’ll take it day by day and focus on the short term for now and see where we are at season’s end,” Bartlett said.
Translation: “We’re going to see if Vanek can score 50 or 60 goals skating with John Tavares, thus opening the door for an enormous auction.” Or, that’s at least how some might read it.
Now, there’s always the chance that the Islanders could roll out an offer Vanek cannot refuse. Or at least one that provides the kind of long-term security just about every player craves.
Still, Vanek’s in a great position here: playing a prime role for a better team alongside one of the best players in the NHL while gaining the opportunity to name his destination next summer. To think, just an hour ago he was one of the only bright spots on one of the bleakest rosters in the league …
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 11
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 21
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 29
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 67
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (110)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)