Oct 27, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
However you feel about Matt Moulson, the New York Islanders made a statement trade by giving up the winger and two quality draft picks to land Thomas Vanek. Isles GM Garth Snow didn’t deny the impact to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
“We had opportunity to acquire an elite player and given where we we are right now, you go for it.” Snow said. “If we hadn’t drafted so well, if we didn’t have good prospects, we couldn’t afford to take the risk.”
The Islanders currently find themselves in the bubble area of the East at eighth overall with 11 points (4-4-3), a mediocre record that prompted Snow to make a big trade, as Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports.
“I didn’t like the way we’d been playing,” Snow said. “We’re better than our record indicates and we need to take the next step.”
“Thomas is an elite player in this league and he’ll help us now and in the future.”
The “in the future” part is interesting, as Snow admitted they hadn’t started contract extension talks with the 29-year-old sniper. Then again, maybe the Islanders GM is thinking more big picture. This team hasn’t made many splashy moves, with their boldest ones sometimes earning protest-like responses from eventual converts such as Lubomir Visnovsky and Evgeni Nabokov.
As fans imagine how Vanek might work with world-class center John Tavares, others can’t help but wonder if Snow has anything else up his sleeves.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)