Oct 27, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
However you feel about Matt Moulson, the New York Islanders made a statement trade by giving up the winger and two quality draft picks to land Thomas Vanek. Isles GM Garth Snow didn’t deny the impact to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
“We had opportunity to acquire an elite player and given where we we are right now, you go for it.” Snow said. “If we hadn’t drafted so well, if we didn’t have good prospects, we couldn’t afford to take the risk.”
The Islanders currently find themselves in the bubble area of the East at eighth overall with 11 points (4-4-3), a mediocre record that prompted Snow to make a big trade, as Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports.
“I didn’t like the way we’d been playing,” Snow said. “We’re better than our record indicates and we need to take the next step.”
“Thomas is an elite player in this league and he’ll help us now and in the future.”
The “in the future” part is interesting, as Snow admitted they hadn’t started contract extension talks with the 29-year-old sniper. Then again, maybe the Islanders GM is thinking more big picture. This team hasn’t made many splashy moves, with their boldest ones sometimes earning protest-like responses from eventual converts such as Lubomir Visnovsky and Evgeni Nabokov.
As fans imagine how Vanek might work with world-class center John Tavares, others can’t help but wonder if Snow has anything else up his sleeves.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (59)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)