Oct 27, 2013, 7:04 PM EST
Hockey fans can debate which team has been the worst in 2013-14 so far, but it’s hard to argue against the Buffalo Sabres being the most depressing. GM Darcy Regier told the Buffalo News that he didn’t see this dismal start coming.
“No, I didn’t,” Regier said on Saturday. “I don’t think anyone did, but you’re here and you have to work your way out of it. We want to make sure people are positive.”
(It’s tough not to shout “Didn’t last season provide a little foreshadowing?” or something to that extent.)
The embattled (though maybe or maybe not on the hot seat) GM spoke to the Buffalo News about the team’s strengths – mainly on defense – but ultimately asked for patience.
“Those are the things underneath the difficult times that you point to, to maintain a level of hope,” Regier said of improvements. “You hope that everyone can see that and kind of grab on to that, and it helps to get through the tough times.”
Regier’s certainly seen some tough times since being hired in 1997, so he’d know more than most, right?
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)