Oct 27, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Hockey fans can debate which team has been the worst in 2013-14 so far, but it’s hard to argue against the Buffalo Sabres being the most depressing. GM Darcy Regier told the Buffalo News that he didn’t see this dismal start coming.
“No, I didn’t,” Regier said on Saturday. “I don’t think anyone did, but you’re here and you have to work your way out of it. We want to make sure people are positive.”
(It’s tough not to shout “Didn’t last season provide a little foreshadowing?” or something to that extent.)
The embattled (though maybe or maybe not on the hot seat) GM spoke to the Buffalo News about the team’s strengths – mainly on defense – but ultimately asked for patience.
“Those are the things underneath the difficult times that you point to, to maintain a level of hope,” Regier said of improvements. “You hope that everyone can see that and kind of grab on to that, and it helps to get through the tough times.”
Regier’s certainly seen some tough times since being hired in 1997, so he’d know more than most, right?
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)