Oct 27, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Hockey fans can debate which team has been the worst in 2013-14 so far, but it’s hard to argue against the Buffalo Sabres being the most depressing. GM Darcy Regier told the Buffalo News that he didn’t see this dismal start coming.
“No, I didn’t,” Regier said on Saturday. “I don’t think anyone did, but you’re here and you have to work your way out of it. We want to make sure people are positive.”
(It’s tough not to shout “Didn’t last season provide a little foreshadowing?” or something to that extent.)
The embattled (though maybe or maybe not on the hot seat) GM spoke to the Buffalo News about the team’s strengths – mainly on defense – but ultimately asked for patience.
“Those are the things underneath the difficult times that you point to, to maintain a level of hope,” Regier said of improvements. “You hope that everyone can see that and kind of grab on to that, and it helps to get through the tough times.”
Regier’s certainly seen some tough times since being hired in 1997, so he’d know more than most, right?
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)