Oct 27, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Hockey fans can debate which team has been the worst in 2013-14 so far, but it’s hard to argue against the Buffalo Sabres being the most depressing. GM Darcy Regier told the Buffalo News that he didn’t see this dismal start coming.
“No, I didn’t,” Regier said on Saturday. “I don’t think anyone did, but you’re here and you have to work your way out of it. We want to make sure people are positive.”
(It’s tough not to shout “Didn’t last season provide a little foreshadowing?” or something to that extent.)
The embattled (though maybe or maybe not on the hot seat) GM spoke to the Buffalo News about the team’s strengths – mainly on defense – but ultimately asked for patience.
“Those are the things underneath the difficult times that you point to, to maintain a level of hope,” Regier said of improvements. “You hope that everyone can see that and kind of grab on to that, and it helps to get through the tough times.”
Regier’s certainly seen some tough times since being hired in 1997, so he’d know more than most, right?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)