Oct 27, 2013, 7:04 PM EST
Hockey fans can debate which team has been the worst in 2013-14 so far, but it’s hard to argue against the Buffalo Sabres being the most depressing. GM Darcy Regier told the Buffalo News that he didn’t see this dismal start coming.
“No, I didn’t,” Regier said on Saturday. “I don’t think anyone did, but you’re here and you have to work your way out of it. We want to make sure people are positive.”
(It’s tough not to shout “Didn’t last season provide a little foreshadowing?” or something to that extent.)
The embattled (though maybe or maybe not on the hot seat) GM spoke to the Buffalo News about the team’s strengths – mainly on defense – but ultimately asked for patience.
“Those are the things underneath the difficult times that you point to, to maintain a level of hope,” Regier said of improvements. “You hope that everyone can see that and kind of grab on to that, and it helps to get through the tough times.”
Regier’s certainly seen some tough times since being hired in 1997, so he’d know more than most, right?
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 40
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 89
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 101
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (101)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (101)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)