Oct 27, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have called up goalie Richard Bachman and forward Anton Lander from the American Hockey League and it’s got fans wondering what’s up in goal.
Bachman being called up has some wondering if he’s taking Jason LaBarbera‘s job as Devan Dubnyk‘s backup. LaBarbera gave up five goals in the Oilers’ 5-4 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes and his season numbers to this point are, bluntly, abysmal.
Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal has some thoughts on the move.
The Bachman recall is a bit of a surprise. It’s unclear at this point how the Oilers have managed to fit him on the roster; it’s possible that they waived Jason LaBarbera after yet another poor outing (though there has been no word yet on that front), that one of their goalies is injured or that they simply moved enough bodies to injured reserve to carry three goalies for the time being.
Dubnyk hasn’t played very well of late either, but he’s been a bit better than LaBarbera. At this point the Oilers could use any kind of improvement in goal.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (55)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)