Oct 27, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have called up goalie Richard Bachman and forward Anton Lander from the American Hockey League and it’s got fans wondering what’s up in goal.
Bachman being called up has some wondering if he’s taking Jason LaBarbera‘s job as Devan Dubnyk‘s backup. LaBarbera gave up five goals in the Oilers’ 5-4 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes and his season numbers to this point are, bluntly, abysmal.
Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal has some thoughts on the move.
The Bachman recall is a bit of a surprise. It’s unclear at this point how the Oilers have managed to fit him on the roster; it’s possible that they waived Jason LaBarbera after yet another poor outing (though there has been no word yet on that front), that one of their goalies is injured or that they simply moved enough bodies to injured reserve to carry three goalies for the time being.
Dubnyk hasn’t played very well of late either, but he’s been a bit better than LaBarbera. At this point the Oilers could use any kind of improvement in goal.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)