Oct 27, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have called up goalie Richard Bachman and forward Anton Lander from the American Hockey League and it’s got fans wondering what’s up in goal.
Bachman being called up has some wondering if he’s taking Jason LaBarbera‘s job as Devan Dubnyk‘s backup. LaBarbera gave up five goals in the Oilers’ 5-4 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes and his season numbers to this point are, bluntly, abysmal.
Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal has some thoughts on the move.
The Bachman recall is a bit of a surprise. It’s unclear at this point how the Oilers have managed to fit him on the roster; it’s possible that they waived Jason LaBarbera after yet another poor outing (though there has been no word yet on that front), that one of their goalies is injured or that they simply moved enough bodies to injured reserve to carry three goalies for the time being.
Dubnyk hasn’t played very well of late either, but he’s been a bit better than LaBarbera. At this point the Oilers could use any kind of improvement in goal.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 3
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 15
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39