Oct 27, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers have called up goalie Richard Bachman and forward Anton Lander from the American Hockey League and it’s got fans wondering what’s up in goal.
Bachman being called up has some wondering if he’s taking Jason LaBarbera‘s job as Devan Dubnyk‘s backup. LaBarbera gave up five goals in the Oilers’ 5-4 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes and his season numbers to this point are, bluntly, abysmal.
Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal has some thoughts on the move.
The Bachman recall is a bit of a surprise. It’s unclear at this point how the Oilers have managed to fit him on the roster; it’s possible that they waived Jason LaBarbera after yet another poor outing (though there has been no word yet on that front), that one of their goalies is injured or that they simply moved enough bodies to injured reserve to carry three goalies for the time being.
Dubnyk hasn’t played very well of late either, but he’s been a bit better than LaBarbera. At this point the Oilers could use any kind of improvement in goal.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4