Oct 27, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s natural for people to gravitate toward the Thomas Vanek/New York Islanders side of Sunday’s blockbuster trade, but what about Matt Moulson‘s future with the Buffalo Sabres? The Buffalo News’ John Vogl reports that Moulson’s agent Wade Arnott said they’re listening … if the Sabres want to talk, that is.
Email from Moulson agent Wade Arnott: He is heading to Buffalo with an open mind No conversations yet but interested in hearing Sabres plans
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) October 28, 2013
The risk/reward factor with the Islanders is higher, but Moulson’s situation with Buffalo might be more dynamic. As Vogl and others point out, there’s nothing to guarantee that Buffalo wouldn’t try to flip Moulson for more assets.
Beyond that, there’s also the intriguing question of hockey nature vs. nurture: can Moulson really succeed without John Tavares? It would probably be unfair to judge the winger based on an abbreviated season without training camp on a dour team in such a scenario, but many will anyway.
(The team announced that they hope the 29-year-old will play for the Sabres as soon as Monday.)
Regardless, Buffalo already must feel pretty good about squeezing assets from a player who very well might have walked this summer. GM Darcy Regier told the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno that this deal – or something like it – has been brewing for some time.
“It was something we felt we had to do,” Regier said.
The tantalizing question, then, is what will they do next?
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 24
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)