Oct 27, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s natural for people to gravitate toward the Thomas Vanek/New York Islanders side of Sunday’s blockbuster trade, but what about Matt Moulson‘s future with the Buffalo Sabres? The Buffalo News’ John Vogl reports that Moulson’s agent Wade Arnott said they’re listening … if the Sabres want to talk, that is.
Email from Moulson agent Wade Arnott: He is heading to Buffalo with an open mind No conversations yet but interested in hearing Sabres plans
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) October 28, 2013
The risk/reward factor with the Islanders is higher, but Moulson’s situation with Buffalo might be more dynamic. As Vogl and others point out, there’s nothing to guarantee that Buffalo wouldn’t try to flip Moulson for more assets.
Beyond that, there’s also the intriguing question of hockey nature vs. nurture: can Moulson really succeed without John Tavares? It would probably be unfair to judge the winger based on an abbreviated season without training camp on a dour team in such a scenario, but many will anyway.
(The team announced that they hope the 29-year-old will play for the Sabres as soon as Monday.)
Regardless, Buffalo already must feel pretty good about squeezing assets from a player who very well might have walked this summer. GM Darcy Regier told the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno that this deal – or something like it – has been brewing for some time.
“It was something we felt we had to do,” Regier said.
The tantalizing question, then, is what will they do next?
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)