Oct 27, 2013, 9:40 PM EST
It’s natural for people to gravitate toward the Thomas Vanek/New York Islanders side of Sunday’s blockbuster trade, but what about Matt Moulson‘s future with the Buffalo Sabres? The Buffalo News’ John Vogl reports that Moulson’s agent Wade Arnott said they’re listening … if the Sabres want to talk, that is.
Email from Moulson agent Wade Arnott: He is heading to Buffalo with an open mind No conversations yet but interested in hearing Sabres plans
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) October 28, 2013
The risk/reward factor with the Islanders is higher, but Moulson’s situation with Buffalo might be more dynamic. As Vogl and others point out, there’s nothing to guarantee that Buffalo wouldn’t try to flip Moulson for more assets.
Beyond that, there’s also the intriguing question of hockey nature vs. nurture: can Moulson really succeed without John Tavares? It would probably be unfair to judge the winger based on an abbreviated season without training camp on a dour team in such a scenario, but many will anyway.
(The team announced that they hope the 29-year-old will play for the Sabres as soon as Monday.)
Regardless, Buffalo already must feel pretty good about squeezing assets from a player who very well might have walked this summer. GM Darcy Regier told the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno that this deal – or something like it – has been brewing for some time.
“It was something we felt we had to do,” Regier said.
The tantalizing question, then, is what will they do next?
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)