Oct 27, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s natural for people to gravitate toward the Thomas Vanek/New York Islanders side of Sunday’s blockbuster trade, but what about Matt Moulson‘s future with the Buffalo Sabres? The Buffalo News’ John Vogl reports that Moulson’s agent Wade Arnott said they’re listening … if the Sabres want to talk, that is.
Email from Moulson agent Wade Arnott: He is heading to Buffalo with an open mind No conversations yet but interested in hearing Sabres plans
— John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) October 28, 2013
The risk/reward factor with the Islanders is higher, but Moulson’s situation with Buffalo might be more dynamic. As Vogl and others point out, there’s nothing to guarantee that Buffalo wouldn’t try to flip Moulson for more assets.
Beyond that, there’s also the intriguing question of hockey nature vs. nurture: can Moulson really succeed without John Tavares? It would probably be unfair to judge the winger based on an abbreviated season without training camp on a dour team in such a scenario, but many will anyway.
(The team announced that they hope the 29-year-old will play for the Sabres as soon as Monday.)
Regardless, Buffalo already must feel pretty good about squeezing assets from a player who very well might have walked this summer. GM Darcy Regier told the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno that this deal – or something like it – has been brewing for some time.
“It was something we felt we had to do,” Regier said.
The tantalizing question, then, is what will they do next?
- Wild hoping last change can help turn the tide versus Avs 0
- Wild changes: Kuemper starts, Brodziak sits, Heatley draws in 2
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 8
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 14
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 25
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (112)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (92)